Is polyandry also as wrong as polygyny?

I find it interesting that in a question about polygamy, which is marriage with multiple partners, so many people assumed that not only did it mean polygyny, it meant the very rigid, Bible based polygyny that is only practiced by an outlawed fringe group of a minor branch of Christianity. All of the complaints and judgments made about "polygamy" in that question are pointless if you consider polyandry.

So what's the deal? Is it really polygamy people have an issue with, or is it really the FLDS church?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I haven't read the question you referenced but If everyone is a consenting adult and ok with it for themselves then why should i have a problem with it. It's not my life. I think polygyny is the most common form of polygamy so most people use the two synonymously. Do the same people also have a problem with polyamory or is it just the marriage part that people disagree with? If everyone is a willing participant, it's not my business.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I haven't seen the question you are referring to so I will have to just give my opinion on polygamy in general. Personally, I don't have a problem with the LDS (not sure what the F is for there), in fact I see that much of their faith is focused on family and I appreciate that. As for polygamy, it's not for me but I don't think less of those who do practice it. I think I'm too much of a jealous and private person to be able to share my husband and my life with another woman.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If everyone is an adult and making the same choice, I have no problem with it. I have major issues with the FLDS version because women are just "assigned" to men and treated like property. It's not like they are truly choosing the lifestyle - they are forced into it, often against their will.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• scoutmom the F in FLDS is fundamentalist not part of the the LDS church also known as Mormon. FLDS is the one we hear about on the news.

As far as the question it is the abuse that I have a problem with after that I don't really care.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 5:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I personal have an issue with both. Though I would never judge or try and stop another from doing what they want if they came out whinning how bad their life is because of it I would tell them to shut up. IMO making choices like this is your decision, but don't B*TCH because it doesn't turn out your way. It's like my mom who eat junk food all day long, drinks soda pop, yet has one slim fast a day with no exercise and then B*TCHES because she isn't losing weight. Well duh what you think was gonna happen. I know a chic who is married and her husband has 3 live in girl friends, which she condoned. She thought it would be easier on her to share the house hold responsibilities. However now she cries that she doesn't have as much of an intimate relationship with her husband. Well duh what did you think would happen when you have 5 people sharing a bed.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Really, mating systems in humans developed as a result of resource availability and inheritance, rather than morality. I think what happens between consenting adults is their business, not mine. And I think that if your religious or moral sensibilities are offended by it, don't do it.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Polyandry is a marriage with one woman and more than one man. Nobody has addressed this yet.

I disagree with both polygamy and polyandry. It is just wrong.

Monagamy is more mature and responsible. No way would I want to be one of many wives and I would not want more than one man. ANIMALS are more often monogamous:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/02/going-steady-10-animals-more-monogamous-than-us-slideshow.php

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Monagamy is more mature and responsible.

Really? So Americans are more mature and responsible than Asians and Africans? That's wacist!
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

LMAO now thats just a silly answer. Sorry my only issues with it is many get hurt and I don't want to straight up be a B*tch but I know I will be if some one comes up to me and says the have this type of relationship and it's not working out how they wanting. I will and have called them dumb *sses. So my reasoning are more selfish and I can admit it I am sure plenty of people can have these relationships and be perfectly happy for them I say more power to you. I see nothing immature about it but many can not be mature enough to even handle those relationships I sure as hell no I can't I don't share well. Hell I can admit I'm not mature enough to share.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I find it strange that when people talk about marriage they simply assume both parties are over the legal age and of sound mind. But when the idea of plural marriage (in whatever form it takes) comes up people assume we're talking about children or brainwashed weak women. How ridiculous! By no means does Plural denote weakness or child, it simply means more than one spouse...

Marriage is marriage. It doesn't matter the number of members, the gender of them or their sexuality... Marriage is Marriage... One is no less equal to another simply because one is different than the "norm."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011