Is a college degree important to you?

We as a nation can no longer keep up academically with other nations, we must now go on to get college degrees. Long gone are the days where a high school diploma were enough.

Is a college degree important to you? Will you push your children to go to college?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• My degree is very important to me and served it's purpose well.. My husband's degree is very important and is the difference between us scraping by living paycheck to paycheck and living comfortably. My son is finishing up his first year at MIT.. So yes, for all of us, college is/was extremely important and has/does contribute to our standard of living.

I believe a college degree, a specialized degree, and the willingness to work all over the world is extremely important for young people today (and future generations). We live in a global world now, most major corporations are multi-nationals with businesses/offices/ all over the world. Not only does that one factor play a part in this, the other major factor is that tomorrows job seekers (today's children under 18) will have to compete with their peers from around the world for career opportunities. The competition for high wage careers will be fierce..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes, a college degree was very important to me...I was a single mom coming out of high school and knew in order to make a good life for my daughter I needed a college education. I spent 6 long years going to college and working to support us...it was hard, but so worth it. I will encourage my children to go to college, go into a branch of the service or go to a trade school. No matter what they decide, I will stand behind them...we all have to figure out a way to make it and a good strong support system always helps on that journey. I love my kids and only want what will make them happy...as long as that doesn't include illegal/harmful things.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• To me? No, not at all.
    For my kids? Probably. It depends on what they are going to want to do with their lives, but they will most likely need some sort of continued education for pretty much any job they go in to.
    My husband is the most successful person I know and never went to college, but that's rare.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No and NO! I highly disagree that you NEED a college degree to do something good with your life. I know many people with college degrees who are living on welfare or making min. wage. And then I know many others who never spent a day in school past HS who have great incomes, happy healthy families and a great life. I will encourage my children to do what makes them happy - PERIOD!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• the MOMmission, you make a good point. I know several people who are nearing 40 and still saddled with tons of student loan debt. A lot of them aren't making nearly what they are worth. It's unfortunate.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Education is always great thing to have, but you do not need to go to collage for that.

I would push hard work and learning how to read well. If you can read you can learn anything. You do not need to go to collage you can stay home and learn on your own, you can google anything. And take collage classes at home.

People who go to collage are not better than those who don't go, it's the work they do and how hard they work is what is most important.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• From the person who spells it collage......
    Anonymous

• Lighten up, anon. Spelling one thing wrong doesn't necessarily mean ignorance.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 4:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It is important to me, even though I don't have one. But a college degree doesn't make a person better than another with just a HS diploma. People can have great lives with or without them.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes, I have 2 college degrees and no debt. It is possible to do. I will highly encourage, and pay for, my kids to go to college. I think it's going to get harder and harder to find a decent job without them. Possible yes, likely no.

Answer by missanc at 4:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011