Teacher goes unpunished for hitting student in the face.

What do you think. Was she right or wrong? I think she was in the right.

People can get real self-righteous when it comes to their kids. I don’t know what happens. They can be super self-aware about every other part of their lives, but let somebody talk about their children and they dive deep into denial, defensiveness, and outrage.

And then they send their little ones out into the world wrapped in that armor of “my mama thinks I can do no wrong,” ready to bark down any neighbor, cafeteria lady, or crossing guard who dare suggest their little angels aren’t exactly angels after all.

Maybe that’s what’s wrong with this Florida teenager, who cornered his teacher in her classroom. She punched him in what she claims was self-defense, but dude needed to get his face knocked. Maybe Harold Camping is right. Maybe the end of the world is near, because this mess means things are falling apart. Who is raising their kids to think they can physically confront their teachers?

And y’all wonder why I support spanking. I’m blown. This boy is a prime candidate to have his behind whooped, first by the teacher, then by his parents. But I suspect that’s a pipe dream since any kid who knew a swift and severe punishment was on the line probably wouldn’t have acted like this in the first place. So I digress.

In order to refute accusations of misbehavior, you have to know your child —  well. What they’re capable of, even when they’re in showoff mode in front of their peers and classmates. Once in a while, you may be surprised at their temporary stupidity but not get a complete and total shock because you’ve observed your kid’s personality under all kinds of circumstances.

If I walked into Skylar’s school and one of the staff members rolled up on me and told me that she had been disruptive and cutting up in class, that vein in my forehead would pop out and I’d be ready to give the junior Ms. Harris a verbal smackdown because that sounds possible. I know she’s a talker, I know she’s a giggler, and I know she’s always in the center of the social goings-on, wherever she is.

On the flip side, if someone walked up to me and accused her of starting a fight, cussing someone out, or disrespecting a teacher, I’d be real skeptical and probably wouldn’t believe it. Unless there was video recorded proof. All I know is I better never, ever see footage of Skylar involved in anything like this or it’s 50 paces to the nearest highfalutin’ military school for her.

If my theory holds true — and I’m confident that it does — this boy’s parents had to know that he was a hotheaded jerk prone to being a complete and total nightmare, and perhaps having the potential to fly off the handle, harass a teacher, and threaten her all up in her personal space. This couldn’t possibly be his first instance of bullying. Except now, instead of another kid, he was playing Tough Tony against his own educator. How charming.

It’s a sad, sad state of affairs when a teacher has to fear for her safety not because she’s intervening in a fight between two of her students, but because one of her students is trying to start a fight with her. But what’s even more disturbing is this teacher is a 64-year-old woman. She’s probably old enough to be his grandmother. And this little jerk is stepping to her like she’s a guy he’s about to rumble with in a gym locker room.

I was about to say, “If I were his parents.” I couldn’t even finish that sentence. Because this couldn’t be my son. What is the proper reaction when you get the call to come to the principal’s office because your boy has called his teacher a "cunt" and backed her up against a wall? I’ve never had a drink in my life, but that? That would be the day I’d have to throw my first one back.

Though the teacher dodged charges for child abuse and avoided any kind of prosecution, she was disciplined for the first time in her 23-year career. Twenty-three years as a teacher without major incident means either this woman flew under the radar as an abuser for a really long time or this situation escalated into an unprecedented mishap for her. The media is reporting what happened to her, but I’d like to know what happened to him.

Was what this teacher did right? Is it ever OK for a teacher to put their hands on a student?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/teen/121425/teacher_was_right_to_punch

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• she looked terrified, like a cornered animal. it's not like it was a 5 year old she smacked for wetting his pants. it was a boy quite a bit taller than her who had her cornered. perhaps it would have been BETTER to allow him to give the 1st punch..... but she appeared genuinely terrified to me.

the person who deserves public humiliation here is the students parents for not teaching him to respect authority.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would have a real hard time defending my "baby" if he was calling a 64 year old teacher a "cunt" and backing her up against a wall. What is sad is that if my child got decked for doing something like that...they would be praying to god the school didn't call me about it. It wouldn't be an "I got hit and mommy will save me". It would be a "mom's gonna kick my ass if you call her".

And I agree with the writer...if your kid is that big an asshole at school, it should not come as a shock to you when that kind of behavior happened at school. I won't pretend I was perfect growing up...but my parents were not in the dark. They were not under the impression that a teacher would call making up stories against their precious children...and I like to think I operate the same way.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I raised three boys. If ANY one of them had ever acted or spoken to any woman, teacher or not, they would have had a lot more to worry about than that woman punching them in self defense (and I do believe it was self defense). They got in far worse trouble for just talking in class or not doing homework ~ and that was in grade school. They were homeschooled from grade 7 on, and part of what they were taught was how to act in public, how to treat other people, how to speak with respect, as well as how to stand up to anyone who treated someone else like that. Had any of them been in that classroom, they likely would have been charged with throwing the first punch because none of them would have stood by and watched another young man just talk or back a woman into a corner like that.

Personally I think the little thug should be permanently expelled as well as charged criminally. Let his parents pay for any further education.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• And then they send their little ones out into the world wrapped in that armor of “my mama thinks I can do no wrong,” ready to bark down any neighbor, cafeteria lady, or crossing guard who dare suggest their little angels aren’t exactly angels after all.

________________

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!!! We have a winner!! This is exactly what a huge problem is with many kids these days!! I can not tell you how many times I had discipline problems with students and when the parents were called about it, I was either lying or I did something to cause their little angel from behaving that way. Then, the assistant principle would revoke the detention.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I meant to say...I agree that if they act like that at school, you KNOW the child isn't an angel at home.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think there are times when it is justified. A teacher has just as much right to defend themselves as anyone else...even if it is against a student. IMO this kind of thing has to be decided on a case by case basis.

Kudos to the teacher for showing the other students how to stand up to a bully!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Ok, just saw the other link posted by amberdawn. She clearly acted in self defense. If it were my child, I would be upset that they were hit - but I also understand that they cannot threaten others without consequence. The kid was way out of line here.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• He should not have backed her into a corner! He deserved to get punched ! Glad there will be no charges against her. I'd have done the same...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• From watching the video, I think she did it from being scared. She was pushed into a corner while he was saying obscene things to here. I think it happened before she had a chance to think.

She was just awarded "Teacher of the Year" last year.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• http://www.parentdish.com/2011/06/06/teacher-doesnt-regret-punching-student/

This shows a clearer video of what was recorded in the classroom. You can here more of what was said. I actually have a few friends that graduated from that school and had never had any problem with any teachers there.

amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2011