are there any groups for moms with kids that have rls

my son is 7 and was diagnosed with rls. this is really a serious issue to me becuase it explains why he can't sit still,go to sleep easly,and has been misdiagnosed with adhd. if anyone out there can relate feed back would be great.

thanks
kristen

kriskam01

Asked by kriskam01 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Go to the groups section and do a search for the type of group you are looking for. I'm positive there are several groups here for that.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• This may or may not help, but is worth considering: I had RLS my whole life. In my 30s I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and went on a gluten-free diet. I was surprised to find my rls go away after going GF. Now the only time I have RLS is if I accidentally eat gluten. (I was very "active" as a child as well). My kids both have celiac too. I'm quite confident that if my younger son had not gone GF at 2 years he would have been misdiagnosed ADHD later on. He is fine off gluten, but watch out if he gets any!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• OK, I am not sure if this will help either... I also have RLS, and let me tell you, it is aweful! I have a hard time being in a car or on a plane for a long time, and even just trying to get to sleep at night sucks. -- I did a bit of research into it and found that RLS can be a "side -effect" of many medications that are given for depression and anxiety. I believe that the meds for ADHD are also in this category. Check into it. -- If he REALLY does have ADHD, it may be something that you have to deal with. My doc prescribed a short acting sleeping pill for me for the nights when my RLS is bothering me. -- Like I said, I'm not sure if this is the right answer for you,. but it is worth checking into if the situation is right.
    bridbill

Answer by bridbill at 11:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2008