Pre-making your meals.. do you do this?

i can't say that i do it often, but today i did and i think it will be so nice to just throw it in the oven at 5 and be done with it. tonight we're having manicotti, so around 3 i cooked the shells, then around 4 i stuffed them, now they're in the fridge waiting to be baked. so much pressure off me tonight lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I do it sometimes. It does help when I know my night is going to be busy.
    onix

Answer by onix at 4:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I have been doing this a lot lately. My kids get home from school around 4, so I've been getting everything ready to go in the oven early, then sticking it in a cooler and taking them to the pool. Our pool has a kitchen, so I put it in the oven there to bake and when my husband gets off work he meets us there to eat out on the picnic tables. I love summer!

Answer by missanc at 4:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes I pre make meals if I have busy plans for the day or am going to be leaving at around dinner time (SO gets home anywhere from 4-9pm). I also freeze leftovers like I make extra meatloaf then slice it up & freeze in meal size ziploch bags I can cook up a pasta side, boil some frozen veg, defrost meatloaf in microwave toss on plate & he has a dinner! Now that summer has hit I do this a lot more. Also crcokpot meals toss the stuff in the morning then eat whenever you want! This type of stuff works for us bc again SO gets home at odd hours, my daughter is 3 1/2 & I'm stay at home so we all kind of have weird eating times.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I always make more than I need, I will make all of the frozen chicken breasts and use what we need and freeze the rest for other meals. I do the same with roast beef, and kidney beans. Then on nights where I don't feel like cooking, I can just pull out the frozen meat and come up with some sides, it makes life easier for me b/c there are days where I feel like being in the kitchen, and days where I don't/

Growing up, my mom would make dinner for the entire week on Sunday (she worked a lot and always wanted to make sure we had home cooked meals)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• missanc-sounds awesome!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sometimes I do depending on what I am having and how tired I think I am going to be.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I do it every now and then, but not often.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yeah, usually when I know I'm going to be very busy in the next week or two.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am like Bubbie0809...I cook large meals and freeze two or three extra meals at a time. Then I can just pull them out when I don't want to cook.

I love cooking ahead. Sometimes I will spend a full day cooking and freeze those meals for the month.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2011