pertussin test?

My baby has been sick. I stayed home with him today and it was already an ordeal to get off work. Then I take him back for a follow up appt. today, and the pedi said that he hadn't gotten his pertussin test back and didn't need to go back to daycare until the results came back negative. She said it may take till the end of the week. Does anyone know what this means? I forgot to ask her. Do I really need to keep him home when he seems to be feeling fine?

IlovemyNicholas

Asked by IlovemyNicholas at 6:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pertussis is whooping cough. Sounds like she is trying to protect the other kids at daycare in case your little one has it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If he has hooping cough the daycare WILL HAVE to be notifyed. Your son may very well have picked it up AT daycare. It's considered a communicable diease. Do what your Dr suggest to be on the safe side. Hooping cough kills allot of babies and kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2008