Other options besides Medicade?

Well I found out that I am pregnant with our second child, we have health insurance, but have not had it long enough for it cover the pregnancy, apparently you have to have for a year...did not know that. I really do not want to do the whole medicaid thing again, does anyone know of any other options?

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Nope. Most will see it as a pre-existing condition and itll be through the roof if you plan to go that route.

Answer by gemgem at 6:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• http://www.pregnancyinsurance.org/

Medicaid is free, but if you are wanting like cheap insurance or something you can try that website, or googling for an insurance company in your area. Good luck!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Oh forgot to add: There are insurance companies that deal especially with pregnancies and won't turn you down bc to them it's a condition that you need a doctor for.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• why not try Medicade again may I ask?
    Anonymous

• If he makes enough $ to afford insurance you may not qualify for medicaid. READ your hubbys plan very carefully to see if there is a loop hole in it as there is allot of the times. If you have the insurance pregnancy should be covered unless it's crappy insurance. Most companies cover pregnancy no matter what from the day your all eligible for benifits.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We have the BCBS individual blue 750 plan, I just hated Medicaid because I felt like when the nurses and docotor saw that I was a 19 yr old on medicaid, they treated me as if I was ignorant, and I could not go to the doctor and hospital that I planned on going to.I hated going to the health department and being asked so many crazy questions and treated like some loony drunk druggie ya know?
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• And no I don't think everyone who is on medicaid is like that, I know that is a horrible stigma that the program has, I wish it were different. I appreciate what medicaid has done for us but at the same time I want t contribute to my care financially, it is my responseability. My husband and I chose to get married and planned both our children, I am not some unwed teen mother trying to live on welfare the rest of my life. I just want to be treated like any other expectant mother at the hospital and doctor I choose.
    I mean, I really thought this would be coverd and am just so upset that I may have to deal with it all again.
    nkkk07

• What kind of ins do youhave? I got on my husband sins when we found out that I was prego. They didn't cover it all, but some of it. I have issues with medicaid. they screwed with me. But you have to get some ins cause you have to get care. Good Luck!
    berrysweetmamma

Answer by berrysweetmamma at 11:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I've been told that ins companies will not cover you until you fight with them, which sucks cause who has the time right? But maybe thats why they do it. Insurance agencies are crooks. I pay way more into ins then I spend. But there is that what if. And get this. My kid got bit and had an operation, was in the hospital for 5 days. I didn't pay a dime, but I took him into the same hospital with the same ins, for some dental fillings and got billed $2000. It was are pediatric dentist who did the work, we just needed to have an anestheisoligist to put him under. And I got a $300 bill for that. Makes no sense to me.
    berrysweetmamma

Answer by berrysweetmamma at 11:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2008