Do other parents really do this??

I always hear people say that you should explain things to your child and talk to them. Which is great, I talk to my baby alllll the time. But at one point I said something to someone about her getting dh's drink and making a mess and throwing a huge fit when I took it from her (she's a year old). They told me that I should tell her that that was Daddy's drink adn she cannot have it, but if she wants one of her own to let me know and I will get her a drink. I was like umm.... she's ONE not three! I saw something earlier where a mom was telling another mom to sit her 18 mo old down and explain something to them. I am the only one who finds this crazy? Yes, I talk to DD all the time. I tell her what we are doing and what's going on adn what she sees. But am I going to expect her to sit down and while I ramble on about why what she is doing is wrong? Umm no. She's a BABY.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• it depends on their age. at one years old just keep it short and sweet, just like their attention spans.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• What I used to do was as I was taking the drink away say "No, this is Daddy's drink. You must be thirsty, lets get you a drink of your own."
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes, I have done this since my son was 18 months old. He is off the charts with verbal comprehension. Yes, it makes a difference.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 5:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• no you are not the only one that finds this nuts. when they are a little older maybe, when they are still babies that seems to be pushing it
    Anonymous

• Nope you're not the only one. I will always get funny looks for this (and probably voted down) but young kids are a LOT like dogs. Short, simple commands/words is about all they can take.

My kids are 4 and 7 and I STILL have to use short sentences and small words, otherwise I become the Charlie Brown Teacher: Whaah whah, whah wahhhnh....

And before anyone bashes me for my personal opinions my 7 year old is off the charts on the Highly Capable/gifted testing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i agree i too know it sounds nuts but if child old enough too walk & get into stuff yea i would explain things just as u
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• When they are babies, long winded explanations go straight over their savage (but adorable) little heads. Their brains are like cave people's, so they cannot possibly comprehend such higher level thinking as this. It is always best just to tell them not yours, then redirect them. Get their attention on something new. Wait until they are older to reason with them. You'd be wasting your time at such a young age.
    Georgie_Peaches

Answer by Georgie_Peaches at 7:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Oh no...I definitely agree. Speak with your children. I feel like that is the problem. We raise our children like they are forever babies. Their minds are constantly developing and if you talk to your child they will absorb a lot more. Think about it. She doesn't know anything until she tries it first and if its a bad thing usually the parent will speak up and thats how she learns that its not good. If its good the parent will usually say good job then the child learns and feels good about it.
    YellowBaby

Answer by YellowBaby at 7:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• At one i would have taken Daddy's drink and given her one of her own.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Explain - yes! Keep it brief at 18 months.

Something like: 'No, that's Daddy's drink' is age appropriate.  Adding 'Where's baby's drink?'  is also age appropriate.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2011