Why do people think they can tell me what to do with my son?

People take it upon theirselves to tell me what to do with my son.. Last time i checked im the one who carried him for 41 weeks an went through 12 hours of labor.. My grandmother is the worlds worst about it. She has told me u need go get nerve meds its not my nerves im just sick of being told what to do an what not to do with MY child...

kiki637

Asked by kiki637 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• care to elaborate on this one?
    what are they telling you?
    what happened when they told you what to do?

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree with you 100%!!!! MY future MIL and all of my fiancees family feels the need to add their input and it makes me so mad. My fiancee tells me they are only trying to help because they've had kids and been thru it too. Well I don't really give a damn. Times change and I am raising my kid my way and I don't really care what they have to say.
    Februarymom2009

Answer by Februarymom2009 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Feel better now?

People like to give advice. It is up to us, as parents, to take it or leave. Just say, ok grandma, and leave it at that. Someday she might night be around to tell you what to do and you will miss all of it.

My grandmother told me not to nurse my child because I giving him bad milk because he cried all of the time. No, he had reflux and I calmly explained it to her a dozen times. Now she is no longer her to watch the nervous milk kid and his siblings be the awesome people that they are. I wish she was still here to give her brand of advice, especially on teens.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It just drive me nuts she thinks im not suppose to get on to him or spank him..
    kiki637

Comment by kiki637 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I used to have that problem with my MIL,, but then we moved far away & it fixed all of that. Now when she comes to visit I poor a glass of wine and turn the tv up. The first time I got some pretty bad looks but after the third glass I didn't care so much LOL. I like to keep things in my life simple. Either speak up when they give advice, shooting them down quickly, or remove yourself from their company. But I know where you're coming from. Sometimes you just need to vent!

805doll

Answer by 805doll at 5:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

______________

What does that mean?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• yeah id stay away from anyone who thinks they could tell me how to raise my kids
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Good luck! My MIL is one who thinks she knows everything about raising kids and is very free in telling you just what you are doing wrong. Never mind the fact that she had 5 kids and the only one who turned out worth anything is my husband, who spent the biggest part of his time with his dad (his mom didn't work until hubby was 3 when his dad became disabled so his dad was the stay at home parent for him).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• As a young parent with my first child, I had a TON of people telling me what to do with my child and giving unwanted advice. I would just smile and say thanks and move on. Now that I have 4, and they are all well-behaved(mostly) and sweet(sometimes lol), they have stopped. This, too, shall pass. :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• What do people say? What are you doing when they say this? I ask because I've always wondered why some mothers speak of this. I've never had a mother interfere with what I was doing with my child so I have always wondered what are those mothers really doing when someone else steps in? Obviously something to make someone speak up.
    YellowBaby

Answer by YellowBaby at 7:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011