baby decongestant

My 4 month old son has had a cold and ear infections. He went to the ER last night because of a high fever and they prescribed him a decongestant. When I went back to the pedi today and told them that, she told me it was dangerous for babies to have this kind of medicine and that I should not give it to him anymore. It makes him feel soooo much better! Why is it dangerous? If that is the case, why did the ER doc prescribe it? SHould I not give it to him or what?

IlovemyNicholas

Asked by IlovemyNicholas at 6:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the ER back and ASK the urse or Dr WHY they prescribed it and tell them what your Peid said and ask them what they think. Best to get ALL the info you can and make an informed choice. If it's helping I doubt he will be on it for very long and the ER may say that only long term use is dangerous.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree with Vbruno.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• go to web md and look up the name of the drug. They do say not to give decongestants to baby's anymore and have pulled all decongestants geared towards the really young. Few things you might want to try are vicks baby vapor rub on chest and bottom of feet (yes feet you put it on cover with socks but turn sock inside out to wash or they get goopy) It does work. Also ask the doc about musenex (guafesin is the active ingredient ) that will thin out the mucous so you can suck it out easier. I never gave it to a 4 mo old so I don't know if it is allowed but ask it may be okay.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would trust the pediatrician. Who knows what the ER doc's specialty is, but the ped. is specialized in children and pediatric medicine. It's his job to be current all studies related to children's health. I would trust them over the ER docs. In the end you have to do what you think is best for your baby. Did the pediatrician make any good recommendations for treatment?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Our ped doesn't even want us to use over the counter for up to 6 years old.
    We use all the old fashion stuff- saline spray, the "sucker", and baby's vicks
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 8:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If you pediatrician said it's not safe, then it isn't. They have the training in the children, most ER doctors just have general training, they don't know what is or isn't good for a baby. The only thing I know of for a baby that young is saline drops and a bulb syringe!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• All docs have a different opinions. I agree with calling the ER to confirm that the drug is OK for infants or check with the pharmacist. They are usually better with drug facts. My dd is on Zyrtec and that's for ages 2 and up. As long as they calculated an accurate dose, it's probably OK.
    Anonymous

• Over the counter medicines are dangerous for babies (and can be for toddlers, too). Bryson (5 weeks old today) has a cold and can online have saline drops, humidifier, and nose suction.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Ditch the medicine and use saline nasal drops and a nasal aspirator.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If your baby has an ear infection then you might want to ask your pedi for a antibiotic to help clear that up. Nasal spray and baby rub will help with his congestion, but you need something for the infection in his ears. I agree with the other ladies on the congestant. I wouldn't give it to your child. Your pedi knows whats best for your child.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008