When did it become a chrysalis and not a cocoon?

I notice all the kids shows anymore teach the kids it is a chrysalis. When I was growing up we were taught it was a cocoon. when did this change and why...?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Just for Fun

• A chrysalis is what butterflies metamorphosis in, a cocoon is what moths metamorphosis in.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• They never taught us that! I never even heard the word chrysalis until my son was like 2 lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Correction: A cocoon is a covering made of silk that encloses a pupa, and a chrysalis is the pupa of a butterfly. The chrysalis is covered in a hard, chitnous shell.

I had only ever heard a cocoon used for a moth and chrysalis for butterflies.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I was just going to write to correct you dedicted, thanks for making that correction.  I was looking for pics to demonstrate

The above is a chrysalis

The above is a cocoon

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• technically it was always a chrysalis. Cocoon is for moths. Sad I learned this from my son age 3. Good explanation in the Dr. Suess Butterfly book.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011