Feeling helpless....

Today, our satellite provider sent a technician over to install a new HD receiver. I always get nervous when these people come over because it is always just my son and I. Well, these guys creeped me out from the moment they came in the door. I called my oldest stepson downstairs to help me feel at ease. He also noticed something was off. Well, the technician brought his stepson with and he was on the one who had me soooo nervous. He kept walking around looking at my husband's deerheads and looking in our gun cabinet talking about all the guns. I tried staying polite because I was very intimidated. The stepson got done installing our receiver (the dad was outside putting up the new dish)...so I took my youngest son in the kitchen to make his lunch. I have one of those space saver high chairs that sit right on the dining room chair. He was right in the middle of the kitchen and I was turned around fixing his lunch when suddenly I hear him start crying. I turned around and saw the stepson shaking my son's chair with him in it. I had to tell him to stop. I immediately had to take my son out of his chair because he was so scared. I tried to stay as calm as I could because I was afraid of what he might do. I guess I should add that he was 30 years old and my son is 15 months. I called the satellite company as soon as they left....I was bawling!!! They got right on the ball with things and the general manager called me saying this is not the way they conduct business and the stepson should never have been with the technician to begin with. As soon as my husband found out, we immediately went to our local police department to find out what to do. The sad thing is that nothing can be done because he did not physically hurt my son. I am furious about this still! I don't know what to do because I feel like my son and myself were put in danger. I am thinking of contacting a lawyer....what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Some of you are just discusting. So much for supporting eachother. She has every right to be scared by this jerk. Anyone who shakes my baby is going to leave at the other end of my gun.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Was he shaking the chair cause he was trying to play with him? If that was the case I could see that it was a non intentional threatening type of situation where he was just RUDE not threatening. I wouldn't have gone to the police station and I wouldn't go to a lawyer. Have the company dicipline their employee and give you a year free of satellite.....

I know how you feel when people are over, it makes me nervous too, but I think the cops and a lawyer is overboard.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 5:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I also think that the cops and a lawyer would be a bit overboard. You took care of things when you contacted the company. If you were uncomfortable you should have asked him to have his step son wait outside. It is your house you do not have to allow people to enter it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think its overboard calling the satellite company is acceptable and he should be fired for bringing someone who isnt licensed on your property..I think he was very rude and you should get free service for a while but the police and lawyers seem extreme to me..
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Document everything that happened. Then, seeing as he was so curious and looking at the deer heads and guns, I'd be on the lookout for a breakin. If he was shaking your son, while you were there, then my hackles would be raised. Get a security system, don't wait. Then you and hubby sit down and figure out a plan that if something were to happen, what exactly will you do. And stay on the alert.
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• What do you think that you deserve? Do you want the guy to be fired? Money off your bill? I am not sure where you going with this. Let the company know what you are looking for.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If it were a woman would you feel differently about contacting the police? The guy just doesn't have a clue about where personal boundaries lay. He's probably gone along with his uncle other times and maybe those individuals weren't on their guard from the beginning? Do you feel the same way about strangers on the street? I see nothing that he did to raise enough alarm to go to the cops. He saw your husband's guns and animal heads. I would be alarmed if he had brought up the subject of guns and there weren't any in your home!

Anonymous

• I would contact a lawyer they need to understand how serve the situation was. I would had been PISSED really who does that!?!? With the lawyer thing, you may not be able to sue the company idk on that one but at least sue the two guys. The father was responsible for bringing his son into the situation when he doesn't even work for the company. I am not sure what the charge or if they could but I would explain to the lawyer there has to be some sort of something that they could label as wrong with that situation.
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't think by any means that I went overboard by contacting the police. What happens if he goes to another home and something worse happens? This guy could have easily caused my son to fall out of his chair or something like that.....I won't stand back and let someone hurt any of my kids. The fact that I had to tell him to stop even after my son was crying pissed me off ROYALLY!!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't want money from this mess....but I deserve more than an apology!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011