Do you think that you will teach your kids to wait to have sex until they get married or will you just give them condoms and/or put them on BC?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 5:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• we won't 'just give him condoms'..we will equip him with relevant information and advice. and yes, tell him to be prepared. we won't provide the condoms; if he's old enough to know he is going to have sex, he's old enough to be responsible.
    we will hopefully teach him that he is worth the right person, and to not devalue himself by having sex for sex's sake. that's the 'hope' i have for his decisions.
    what he does with the correct information and sound/sober parental advice is on his shoulders. hopefully, he'll use condoms and not rely on a sweet-talking PYT to tell him she's on BC.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I will teach them the value of waiting for marriage while also teaching them all the responsibility that comes with having sex including STD, Pregnancy and heart break or any combinations there of. Only one of those is not permanent. They will be taught how to respect their bodies and the bodies of others. They will be taught how condoms work and that the best protection birth control or not is that no condom no sex. I hope my children will choose to wait until marriage but Ia m not so confident in my ability to teach and enforce this that I would not teach anything else.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am going to teach them right from wrong but i am also getting my daughter put on birth control very young. Some say its wrong but I know what its like to be a teen mom and she doesnt need that.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would rather my kiddos wait they are uber young, but I think it takes a lot of the tabo out if it you just tell them to use a condom and bc. I know it sounds horrible, but we are in a different day and age. This also opens the doors to them knowing they can talk to you about things maybe things you might feel uncomfortable talking about but I would rather hear it then hear about it second hand in a much worst situation. So I am just gonna teach my kiddos safe sex even though I wish they would wait when the time comes.
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 5:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I sure pray that my kids and their mates would wait to have sex until they got married and after they completed college.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I won't just throw condoms and birth control at them, I plan to raise them knowing the consequences of sex before they're ready (different than waiting for marriage). I'm studying to be a midwife, and I've been a sexual health counselor, so I know a lot about this topic, and how to approach kids with it. My kids will know where babies come from, and how they can make that happen before they're prepared and how to prevent it safely, as well as how to prevent transmission of STDs and how to ID them. If they choose to wait until they're married, they will have my support, but I don't expect that of them. If they want birth control, I will ensure they have access to it. I was on the pill for medical reasons years before I needed it for birth control, and when I have a daughter, I will probably have her on it when I feel she's old enough.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I plan on teaching them abstinence and all about birth control and plan to provide condoms and birth control options. That is how I was raised and I didn't wait to have sex (It never crossed my mind) but I was 28 when I got pregnant for the 1st time.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I will teach him respect and provide condoms. If I have a daughter, she will get the same and a birth control prescription. If they invent male birth control, my son is getting it. I don't think teaching abstinence is effective, and I have moral issues against making them wait for marriage.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 6:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• While they were young and impressionable we put EVERYTHING we taught them about sex in the context of marriage. (elementary)

When they were older (teens)  and had a better grasp of relationships, sex, etc... we were more realistic about sex BUT we made sure to talk to them about the realities of the emotional side of sex.  Too many parents forget this side of sex ed.

Our teens know that we expect them to not slut around.  That being a teenager is hard enough emotionally with out adding in sex.  We have taught them about the reality of gossip, sex photos, ect... and the importance of self.

Anonymous

• Our h.s. daughter has made it a goal to graduate a virgin (sad that now-a-days this is a goal) and I would be shocked if she had casual sex. I would NOT be shocked if she ended up having sex with a boyfriend of a yr or more in college. She knows Im an open door if she wants bc but I will NOT put her on it just in case. We have stressed that sex is HER CHOICE... and not something to do on a whim.

I think we are good.

Anonymous