Do you think that teens having sex is wrong? Do you ever wish that there was something that could be done to prevent teens from having sex?

What are some options that your church has come up with?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 5:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, and yes.

My church can't physically stop a teen from having sex, it happens...

They just teach them the doctrines, and give ideas how to live it. It teaches that our bodies and sexuality are sacred, not dirty, sacred. For the youth specifically, there's a thing called "for strength of the youth" pamphlet and website that gives ideas for dating standards.

Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 7:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Personally, I don't think it's the church's business.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• All you can do is talk their ear off, telling them that it would be better to wait, etc, but when those hormones are ranging they forget about everything! I always told my daughters that the urges were normal which they are but not to give it to anyone under pressure, and to make the act count as a good memory not a whim or an act of curiosity, and if they were thinking about having it to make sure they were protected.

Answer by older at 6:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I wish they would not because I personally feel they have no business to do so. And sorry, not buying the arguement many are mature enough to have sex. If you're still living with your parents and going to high school, you're not mature enough to do something that could result in a baby best case scenario, and an STD or AIDS, worst case scenario. I was never absoulutely shielded from sex but I wasn't screwing around before I graduated so there goes that theory, the one about sex being everywhere so teens who are so mature do it. But some feel like having sex before they can vote or drive makes them adults and worldly and will do it. Unfortunately there is nothing I can think of to keep teens from having sex if pregnancy possibilities, disease and the fact they just plain aren't ready for it doesn't stop them.
    Anonymous

• If churches gave advice that would be fine. My Mom and I talked about sex and birth control but I waited until I was in my 20's to have sex. IS there something wrong with me? LOL. I thought  I had hormones and even though sex sounded really god, I resisted temptation and waited. SO---what's the deal? ARE all teens out of control and just have more hormones coursing through their blood? (My daughters too? They waited too.)

Holy cow,people. I thought sex was too important to waste it on some young goofy guy who was horny. I wanted to wait for someone who loved me and who I loved. CAN"t teens tHINK that way? Whatever happened to Love? ANd self-control?

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• That's a difficult one for me to answer.

I do not think teens having sex is "wrong".. I think it can be irresponsible, I think it can be potentially dangerous, I think there are many different individual possible repercussions to teens having sex (all depending on the individual teens themselves). However I can't state that I believe it is "wrong" , especially if the definition for "Wrong" being implied is "something immoral or unethical".

I think the best way to deal with the possible repercussions of teens having sex is by teens being fully educated in regards to all of the potential repercussions of irresponsible sexual behavior/choices, responsible sexual behavior and choices, birth control/how it's used/how to get it, std's (what you can catch, what it does, etc) and pregnancy (risk, prevention, systems of, changes it brings to not just social life but mind/body/sense of self as well, responsibilities).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Church aside sex is a HUGE responsibility and no matter how much you educate a child on the effects of sex both physical and emotional it is a toss up as to how they will handle the situation when faced with it. In my case I plan to teach abstinence, self respect and respecting others while STILL making sure they know the ins and outs of sex. The risk of pregnancy, the risk of STDs, the different ways to protect themselves from those things and give them real world scenarios and how to handle them as well as alternatives to intercourse such as masturbation and mutual masturbation. A Safe way to release those feelings.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I forgot, my church also does youth activities and dances for the youth that are actually really fun, and at the same time wholesome...that helps.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 7:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• teens/people are going to have sex.. theres nothing that can really b done
    Anonymous

• Teens can be irresponsible about sex, but that doesn't make it any of your business. All we can do is arm our own teens with scientific knowledge, self-respect, and bc. To be quite honest, after they're of the age of consent they're deemed old enough to make that decision. Preventing teens over the AOC from having sex is like making sure your 20-something doesn't drink. Giving them knowledge and love and protection, though, will help them.

Many teens are mature enough to have sex. What most people fail to accept is that all teens mature at different rates, and not all of them act like children. Even if a teen does get pregnant, it's hardly the end of the world. Teen parents can finish school and go to college like anyone else- they just need determination.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 6:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011