Can a blood pregnancy test be wrong, and a cyst be the cause of a missed period and pregnancy symptoms?

Okay so heres the deal, im 23 years old. My last period was April 23, 2011... it is now June 8, 2011. My boobs are terribly sore and i feel sick. I have never missed a period in my life, nor had a delayed period, accept for when I was pregnant with my two children. I've take two urine tests, both of which came back negative. The doctor took a blood test about a week ago, which also came back negative. They did an ultrasound also, however the doctor even said it would be too early to see anything if i was pregnant, but they did find a small cyst in my ovary. Im just wondering if this cyst could be the source of all these problems or is something else going on with my body? I feel pregnant, but the tests say otherwise. Does anyone have some insight, please?

BeckyBug13

Asked by BeckyBug13 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I have never heard of a blood test being wrong but I am certainly not an expert. There are many reason other than pregnancy for missing a period.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My first daughter was diagnosed as a cyst that needed to be removed!

Answer by older at 6:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Been there done that with the cyst. It can cause periods to be late. Have had them cause periods to be really long after being really late. The cysts can actually cause hormone levels such as prolactin to be elevated and you can actually start lactating...even without ever having had a pregnancy. It would be interesting to know if it was a qualitative or quantitative HCG...qualitative is a yes or no and quantitative tells the exact numbers. With a cyst sometimes you will get a level that is below the threshold for the qualitative but enough to show up on the quantitative. I had this happen had an HCG level of 2.5 or something like that and the qualitative usually around 5-10 so had I not had the quant HCG done I would never have know that my cyst was causing a release of hcg (which led to symptoms of pregnancy).
    michcous

Answer by michcous at 10:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011