What should we do??

We're moving across country next week. We've signed a lease and payed security deposit and first months rent on an apartment, and now we find out they will not allow our movers to get into the apartment before we get there. The only way around this is to rent a storage space for 2 days (and have to move our stuff when we get there), or drive like 10 hours a day for 4 days to be there in time for the movers. I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and already dreading the long drive. I want to cry! This landlord has not been easy to work with the whole time, and I'm dreading renting from them for at least the next year.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 5:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My little ones are 6, 4 and 3 and I just kept them entertained and full. We had the movie player and that helped pass a lot of time. Then some little toys and things, and car music. The snacks I prepackaged in snack size amounts so I could just hand them back as needed. I also did some coloring things.

I know what you mean by landlords and not wanting to deal with them. We have always owned our own house and now we are renting and they are not as easy to deal with as I was hoping. Good luck!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would just push the drive. We actually just moved across country as well and we averaged about 11 hours a day for 5 days, we were driving in separate vehicles, with 3 kids, a dog and a camper and it was surprisingly not that bad. I was about as far a long as you and it did not really make a difference. Hang in there and just get there as fast as you can safely.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Something to consider: portable DVD player and some of your 21 month old's favorite cartoons or Baby Einstein DVD's or some other form of entertainment.

Last summer we did a 14 hour drive, straight with a 6 year old and a 3 year old. We planned most of our drive for overnight so they'd sleep, and that DVD player was also a lifesaver. We got absolutely SICK of Beranstain Bears (all the 3 year old wanted to watch), but still a lifesaver.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• the movers should be working around schedule, not the other way around!
    if your movers are from your original home, maybe hire new movers so they won't have to drive that far
    also, have you considered flying there to save your back during pregnancy!
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The movers are hired by my husband's employer, and they're on a tight schedule, too, as they are moving some other people around at the same time. I have thought about flying, but I really don't want DH to have to make the long drive alone. Melbornj, all I can say is you're a way tougher mama than I am! I also have a 21-month-old, and I just couldn't put him through being stuck in his carseat that much.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yeah, we're planning on picking up a DVD player. We might do some late evening driving, but we did an overnight not long ago and I was so uncomfortable I thought I would lose my mind. Looking at the route again, though, I think we can still do it if we get out as soon as the movers are done getting our stuff and get as far down the road as possible that night....

You know how when you're pregnant you just want to know you have a home to go to, to settle in. I was SO pleased with the apartment when I found it, but now I'm dreading having this landlord, and I'm all outa' wack.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'd definitely push the drive as well. It would be much easier than renting a storage unit and then having to move everything inside yourselves. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011