What's going to happen???

I just found out I am about 5 weeks pregnant and I got my first prenatal appointment on Friday and I was wondering if they do a sonogram on that first visit or what do they do. I am anxious to see my little sesame seed ...lol... for the first time but baby it's so small I don't even know if the doctor will see him yet...
Thank You for your comments....

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 6:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They will only do a sonogram if they can't hear the heartbeat. They will go over health history and such just like a physical only there's a baby involved. It is really no big deal and they will also give you tons of things to look over and read. Congrats!
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 6:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If you know how far along you are then they wont do a sonogram.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think it depends on my first visit they just checked me n talked to me.. then i scheduled a ultrasound like a week later :D

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• They'll probably do an ultrasound (transvaginal), and go over your medical history, as well as let you know what to expect from future appointments. Where I was, they did a sonogram regardless of whether you know when you conceived (we knew to the day).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I had an internal ultrasound at 6 weeks which is standard in early pregnancy at my OBGYN. I saw her heartbeat! GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• On my 1st visit they did an ultrasound but thats because I have a history of miscarriage and they needed to get a due date. But most of the time they wont do an ultrasound unless there is a medical reason for one. If they dont due one then you will be waiting until you are 20 weeks. They also give you info to read, give you a script for prenatal pills and do blood work to check your hcg levels and what not on your first visit.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Might do a sono, might not. They will probaly draw blood and if they do request they check progesterone and estrogen levels. Family history and put you on a prenatal vitamin. Might be too early to see much more than a sac and a fetal pole. But you'll find out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Depends on the OB/Midwife's particular course of action. If you aren't considered high risk they may wait, if you are high risk they may do one sooner or if you are having problems.
    michcous

Answer by michcous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011