Poop ---> Potty

My daughter is a few months over 2 and she was doing great with the potty. She would poop and pee in it as long as we reminded her and all that jazz and was really happy about it.....but she's slowly getting worse.

Now, she grabs underwear to PURPOSEFULLY go potty in them....and she wont tell you and keep them on as long as you don't say anything and screams and runs if you do. She goes #1 pretty well and will use the potty sometimes, but #2 is the real problem. She use to be just fine with it, but now she wont go unless she's hiding in a random corner and going in her undies (pull-ups or cloth doesn't matter to her). She screams bloody murder if we catch her, no matter our attitude, and try to get her into the bathroom to either go in the toilet or wipe her.

I've tried so many different things and I just don't know what to do. We have a little potty and a big potty; we've tried books, candy, toys, yelling, time-outs, praise, clapping, sitting for hours, leaving the bathroom, I spent a whole week showing her the digestive system and potty-time videos, we bring her around other kids that go potty, etc etc.

I hate to say, but I think that even though she had acted like she was ready, I don't think she was and I wish we would have waited. Its too late now though, its not like I can just say "Sure! Go potty in your pants! That's fine!"....

Help!

Deathlilly

Asked by Deathlilly at 6:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you can't answer please bump, I really need some second opinions or something because I have no clue what to do and I'm hitting my whit's end...

Deathlilly

Comment by Deathlilly (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'd put her back in diapers...and tell her that when she's ready to go on the big girl potty, she can have big girl pants back.

My brother was like that--he'd go for a few days (once even for about a month), but he'd go right back to going in his pants. So my mom put him back in diapers. He pretty much potty trained (he knew what to do, he just needed to be the one to decide) himself within the year.

My daughter was pretty similar--she'd go if I told her to go, but she wasn't really "interested" and she couldn't keep it going for more than a few days. Rather than fight it (and after trying everything under the sun), I put her back in diapers and told her that she could wear underwear again when she used the potty. Around her 3rd b-day, we went to tour a pre-school, and I told her that if she wanted to go she had to be able to wear big girl pants. She never had an accident after that, not even at bedtime
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My son turned two in Feb an he was potty trained before his second birthday.. it takes time we use stickers he still has accidents. But if he does it on purpose he gets a pop on the leg.. I know some parents don't believe in doing that but it worked for me.. an then she may not be ready.. if she goes all night without wetting her diaper or pull up then she is ready an we never used pull ups biggest waste of money there is.. I put him in big boy undies an he said big boy mommy an I said yep u r an started crying
    kiki637

Answer by kiki637 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• we are dealing with the same issue. just a boy. at first he loved it for the m-ms I think. after about 2 weeks it became a power struggle. unless it was his idea, you can forget it he will kick and scream. needless to say we are back in diapers. for me it is not worth the fight. he is still young and it will go much smoother when he is good and ready not just going through a phase. Good luck to you with the potty thing
    iramom

Answer by iramom at 10:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I always have mom's asking me about potty training issues! Such a frustrating time for many mom's, so you're not alone. Today I had another potty question and the answer may help you or add some insight. Here's the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/parenting-coach-alison-astair/parent-question-my-daughter-will-be-3-in-august-and-potty-training-has-been-slow/200932789952966
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011