Feeding problems with a almost 14 month old

He does NOT want me tofeed him(and he can feed himself with a spoon). Instead, he takes a few bites and then does nothing but play in it over and over. He just wants to goof off. He can do finger foods btw. It is food that he loves and eats(that I have fed him that day).
It does not matter how long he goes or how hungry he is, all he does is play and throw massive fits when I try to feed him, reaching for the spoon. I am at wits end.

*he will let me feed him sometimes but it's getting less and less...and like I said he won't feed himself buuut just play and giggle and talk--that is it. He may take maybe 2 bites the whole time.
I am at wits end and no I do not hit or punish him. Just A BIT FRUSTRATED.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he has yogurt on his tray to play w will he let u feed him. Yogurt interested my kid a lot. Got all over, but he ate ;)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I tried having him have a spoon and I have a spoon buuut he threw a huge fit because he wanted both spoons. Maybe I should give him something to play in while I feed him.
    It is werid because he is not clumsy but can feed himself really well but because he would rather play he makes a huge mess!!! He does not wanna eat but play. He did not get to bed until 1 am but slept until almost 3 pm today. The last time he ate was around 10 pm. He is a late owl btw. One would think he would eat better but he did not.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No matter how long he goes without eating(not that I starve him, just saying there is a decent time between meals), he will still insist on playing in his food and making a mess.
    I get so fed up. I can't feed him because he throws a fit buuuut he won't eat either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• *wits end :(
    I juust want my child fed is all but he makes it hard. This is my first child and first child I have seen act out this badly over food. I have seen clumsy eaters but not ones that only play in their food. irritating.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• 1) He's still learning and exploring food. One of the BEST ways to do that is to play with his food. It's normal.

2) If you're getting tired of him playing in his food instead of eating it, take the food away. Tell him, "You eat food, no play". Then wait a bit (I'm assuming he'll be throwing a fit) and give him back the tray/plate saying, "You eat food, no play". He'll get the idea pretty quickly.

3) Let him have SOME fun with his food and play with it at least a little bit.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't mind him playing some. It is when there is maybe 2 bites.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am going to have him try again in a little bit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It's hard but lotsof kids do not eat a lot at this age. After he has some, and when you are done with the playing, take the food away and say 'all done'. You might try some banana or a pear that he can hold himslef and eat. He will not starve. But don't stress because he will pick up on that and expect all meals to be stress filled. Stay calm during the whole time and be matter of fact. GL

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Oh, and while both of my kids could feed themselves just fine, and insisted on it at 14 months they'd still play in/with their food. They'd eat a little, play a lot, eat a little more, get it all over teh place, eat a little more....

This isn't the best pic, but he's a messy faced, two-fisted eater. Somewhere I have a pic of his face covered in spaghetti sauce stuff from a Gerber 3rd Food or Gerber Graduates meal.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• he is eating and holding a graham cracker right now and about to give him his milk
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011