Radiation/Downs Syndrome

Do you think a woman has a higher risk of having a child with Downs Syndrome or some other chromosomal defect if she has had multiple X-rays and CT scans in her life due to an injury? I know they say the risk goes up with age, but does radiation, even in these small amounts have a big impact on the chances? Just curious, because I would like another child, but not sure I want to if the risk is super high now that I have had this experience.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• maybe. all that stuff messes stuff up over time.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 7:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I can't say for sure, because I am not a doctor, but I would think that it would be minimal risk increase. People have X-rays all the time and go on to have healthy kids. Maybe you should talk to your ob/gyn about it for your own peace of mind. Good luck to you!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 7:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• good question
    unfornately i have not the slightest idea

how long ago was the scans?
    maybe this will make a difference
    sure hope so

good luck
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011