Gifted children

If your child was gifted when did you start to notice differences?

Could you see it when they where infants?

Did they always seem to be 3-5 months ahead on development especially with problem solving and multi step problems?

If he is gifted how can I help as he gets older? I know that most schools have resources but other sources especially those that focus on more of an early childhood level would be nice.

I'm seriously starting to think that DS is gifted. I know that a lot of parents think that their child is and that it's hard to spot a truly gifted child in infancy(under 12 months is my definition of infancy) but he just seems different. My own parents didn't know that I was above average(in a few areas my learning disabilities still make a few things hard including writing sorry I know I get a little jumbled sometimes) till I taught myself to read when I was 3 and DH's parents weren't impressed until he started doing basic computer programming at 8, so I do know that it's not always obvious but still he just seems ahead on figuring things out.
All answers excepted but I would prefer to avoid the ones from people who don't believe in giftedness and I promise I'm not trying to push him into anything I was just looking for experiences and maybe resources if you have them.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 6:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Heh. My son scored off the charts on the gifted testing back in January. He taught himself to read at 4. He could do basic math (2+2, 3*6, 8-5, what's half of 6?) the summer before he started kindergarten. He erad almost all of the Magic Treehouse chapter books before he started kindergarten. He was BORED all through kindergarten. They did color shape recognition, number and letter patterns, ALL stuff he'd been doing since he was 4 or younger. They read Spot type books.

I WANTED him tested for HiCap (challenge here) last year in kindergarten, but through a gross miscommunication with his teachers, and gross stupidity we missed the testing. This year though, in a new district and a new grade he took the testing in January. He'll be in a split 2nd/3rd grade HiCap class in the fall.

Check on your school district's website for information.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think I know what your talking about with HiCap they used to call it Access here. I'll check it out.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• When they're that young, there's really no need for specialized programs. You just need to keep up with them and provide them with the raw materials for them to create and experiment.
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/ is a terrific site for learning about giftedness, testing (or deciding not to test) and different programs.
    Fwiw, I have 2 gifted kids who are 14 and 10. They're both in the district gifted programs, but those have their positives and negatives. My dd will be a freshman next year and her 4-year plan for high school involves taking almost all AP classes her junior and senior years. We'll see how that actually plays out, though.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 7:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My son is very likely gifted (we didn't do the formal testing because we wouldn't move him out of his french immersion class anyhow, but it's his teacher's opinion that he would have tested very high.) He also has some sensory issues and some learning disabilities. When did I notice he was different? Pretty much at birth! LOL! His intelligence and his eccentricities seem to go hand in hand... he is very bright but also has areas that he struggles with (printing being one) and some areas where he just doesn't see the point at all (art and music, for instance.) So it's a balance between encouraging him to work ahead in the areas where he is ahead (math, science, and language) and encouraging him to keep working at the areas where he is not (spatial processing tasks like art and printing.) He is in a French immersion program and the second language helps to keep it challenging for him.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I was looking at preschools that's a big reason why I asked the question. I have 3 options :1 pay through the nose for montessori at which point we need to start saving now,2 try to get our names on the list for the regular preschool but we may get bumped if there are people with more need then us or 3 We get on the two year waiting list for the local charter school.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2011