Who can we report this to?

My husband started a new job and has found out recently that they are crooked. They sell office supplies/uniforms/etc. to companies and see them weekly to have the companies sign off on invoices of the merchandise that's been purchased. The majority of it is stuff that is replenished weekly, so most companies don't bother to read through the itemized list AND check the delivery. However, my husband found out that they are being charged for items they are not receiving and only receive the items IF they find out (which is rare); or they demand a refund (which is rare). A co-worker has brought the issue to the attention of his supervisor and the co-worker was reprimanded and told to keep up "business as usual" or else.....So obviously it won't benefit him to tell anyone within the company (unless he tries corporate??) - so who else can he report this to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Just because that supervisor wasn't receptive (and was obviously in on it) doesn't mean that there isn't somebody else in the company. Each state's laws are different about whistleblowing (look here), and each company is going to be set up differently to handle issues like this. I can report things anonymously to a central ombudsman where I work. It seems to me like this is an issue that should have been covered during his orientation, perhaps?

Perhaps another tactic is to inform the clients? Even anonymously?

It's admirable that he wants to do the right thing.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The Better Business Bureau
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 7:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It's fraud and theft, you can call the police and speak to a detective!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• He could report it to the BBB
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would say call the Better Business Bureau
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 7:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The BBB is not an actual government agency, reporting it to them may not result in anything.

I suggest he document what's going on as best he can then contact your state's Attorney General.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 7:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If they are a public company, you can find out who audits their books and report it to them.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i would keep my mouth shut at work but give an anonymous tip to the police
    you could talk to human resources too and warn others online by giving the place bad reviews
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Try the CEO of the company?
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 10:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011