How do you know when you are down having kids?

I have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. When I gave birth to my son all the nurses were like "oh, your down now you have one of each" - I was like who said I was done? But anyways my dh is very ready to be done but he said if i want another one he would be ok with it. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. How do you know when you are done?

YellowBaby

Asked by YellowBaby at 7:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would love to know this too. I know it's very personal. Everyone keeps telling us now that we have one of each we are good.... I'm not sure. I do miss the little baby phase, but then again, do I want all of those sleepless nights again?? Time will tell I guess.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I just knew when I had two, regardless of the sex I was done.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i have a 5yr old girl and a 2yr old boy. i know im done because i know i would go crazy if i had another. im married but have little to no help with them and i never get to be out of the house unless i am going grocery shopping. but more than that when i look at my little family i dont feel as if there is something missing.
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 7:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It took about a year after having my second to realize I didn't feel 'done.' I got that aching for a baby feeling back again... I started thinking about the logistics of three and how we could manage it. I saw pregnant women and women with babies and yearned to be them. It was very much feeling like something was not complete. After our third, I really don't feel that way anymore. I'm sometimes sad not to have any more because I do enjoy the baby stage, but I don't feel that something is missing and I don't feel that yearning for more. When I look at our family, it feels complete. Plus, the logistics of four would be REALLY difficult to work out for our circumstances!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I had my first at 32, he's 8 now, and I have a chronic illness, I kinda had that decision answered for me. But maybe some foster kids are in my future. I would love to help older kids someday.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• DH and I definitely wanted 2. We said that we would think about a 3rd after we had 2. I have endometriosis and it was difficult to conceive DD. 5.5 years, one surgery, 4 early miscarriages and 11 infertility cycles later, we were finally pregnant with #2. At 5:01 pm on June 14, 2004 we became a family of four FINALLY! 5 minutes later, we became a family of 5...we knew we were done.

You'll know it too! (Hopefully in a less dramatic way.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I have 4, I'm not done until the Lord says I'm done. That's not my decision to make.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't know what to tell you. We are getting ready to have our fourth and I am hoping to find that answer. Even though I am weeks along I do not feel like we are done. I am kind of hoping that it will just hit me.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I hear from people that "you just know." I have 5 right now.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am pegnant with my 2nd and I already know that I am done. The reason I know that I am done is because I dont want to go through this again. I dont want to be pregnant again. 4 times pregnant with only 2 kids is enough for me. I am 27 now and I want to have time after they grow up and move out to still be able to do things I want to do. I dont want to be 60 when my kids graduate from high school and close to 70 when they decide to have their own kids. But everyone is different and when you are ready you will know for sure if your done or not.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011