Child's growth

When my son was two, he was under weight (consistent since birth due to prematurity-he was 1 month early to the day), and still not saying more than a few words from time to time. I think he had a vocabulary at the time of approximately 6o words, but his doctor was concerned about his size, and requested a series of blood work, the standard tests plus a celiac panel. All they determined was that he was low on Iron (which I could have told them since he refused even then to eat greens, or meat.)

My father in law has continued to gripe about my DS being small. Last year, at his 3 year check-up, he measured 29lbs, and 37 inches. Since then, he's gained one inch, and one pound. My father in law keeps complaining about it, saying stuff like "He hasn't gained since last november" and "there has to be something wrong with him" and it's driving me up a wall. My son knows the alphabet (not by recitation but by recognition of letters. He can read letters when shown them.) He knows all the primary and secondary colors. He knows all of his numbers up to 10 by recognition, and can count to 5 on his own. He interacts socially with other children his age, shares his toys, etc. As far as mental development, he seems age appropriate. When he draws, he even draws hands on his people, which I know generally doesn't come until later on in artistic development. He's not in daycare, or preschool. I'm a SAHM or working 4-8 hours a week, so I'm home most of the time with him.

My father in law keeps hounding about it. I've tried telling him that in a group of his peers (at playgroup) my DS was the average in size. There were several kids smaller, and several larger. I've tried also explaining that I was small as a child, and so was his father when he was really little, though he is rather large now. I've even gone so far as to tell him that my niece who is 8 months older than him plateaued in her growth at the same age as my son and stayed the same size for over a year, then just recently sprouted up several inches.

I'm getting frustrated with the whole thing. My son doesn't go back for his 4 year checkup until this fall. What can I tell my FIL until then? How can I make him understand that my son is a healthy active child, who eats when he's hungry (though not always much, I try to make it as balanced as I can).

Oh! And my FIL is constantly giving my DS junk food like pops and chips, telling him they'll put on the weight...how do I explain that there are two different types of weight...weight from fat, and weight from muscle, and I'd much rather my child got protein and fruits and veggies than chips and sugar pops? Ugh!

Getting so frustrated and needing advice.

Also, if you know of any ways to get a child to eat veggies, I'd appreciate some advice. My DS won't touch anything green. I know it's normal to a degree, but my son does seem to have an aversion to trying new foods.

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 7:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• kids growth tapers off, tell FIL to stuff it. My DS was 39 lbs at his 4 year checkup... at 5 1/2 years he is 42 lbs...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You can go to a web-site that does kid's BMI and they will tell you where he falls compared to other kids his age. All you need to know is his height, weight and age. I take a can of chick peas, mash them up and add then to boxed brownies (the box that's around 18 ounces). You can also try that with spinach.

Aversions to new food are developmentally appropriate. Age 3 is when kids start to venture away from parents for short times. Natural selection had the ones that didn't arbitrarily eat strange thing survive to reproduce. The ones that ate strange things poisoned themselves.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I have a HUGE selection of recipes that have Vegetables hidden in them. If youwould like a list of some of them send me a messge... my kids LOVED some of these and had no idea there was even any vegetables in them.--Some of them lol
    sillymumof2

Answer by sillymumof2 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Take your FIL to your son's next appointment with the Pediatrician. Maybe your FIL will realized how foolish he has behaved when the Doctor tells him that his grandson is a bright and healthy child. Another thing ask your FIL to show you pictures of your DH and himself when they were the same age as your son. This way you can also criticize your FIL! LOL Your father in law must someone who can't be pleased easily.
    About the vegetables prepare soups by blending the ingredients the kid doesn't know what he is eating but hopefully he will enjoy it.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Tell him to mind his own business. First of all, what do you and your husband look like? Are either one of you or both of you small? I went through this with the idiot doctors myself and their stupid charts. Genetics play a big role in it. He will grow at his own pace. My last one was a preemie too. She was in 0-3 months clothes until she was a year. I'm 5'4" my husband 5'5". She is never going to be big. She didn't talk much either, but like Einstein, who didn't talk until he was 4 and then started in sentences, it's because he had nothing to say. My daughter is now 8 and far beyond other children with her vocabulary. I have a daughter that is 23 and is 5 foot exactly. You don't have to be big and fat to be healthy. You are the mother and the expert over your child. He's an outsider, grandfather or not.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Show him a growth chart, or perhaps point out that tiny men run in the family (if applicable) or perhaps indeed you just need to tell him to stuff it. :-)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011