Should parents have to pay for there kids in care ?

i live in the UK and I'm shocked that if your kids in foster care you don't have to pay anything toward there care the government dose it all no doubt from taxes  . i know this because my step kids half sister in care . the bio mum still has her right so get to have contact and call her yet dose not have to pay a penny towards her care not even child maintenance and there no plans to change this for for her to go back to her mothers care . what do you think about this should your kid being in care be free ? or should bio parents have to pay for there kids or sign over there rights?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• they should have to pay especially if they are mentally and physically capable.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• when my stepson was in foster care in Mass., my husband still had to pay support, but instead of going to the mom it went to the state, the bio mom was ordered to pay as well, she never did. We have custody of him now and she still dosnt pay
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 8:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes, they should. If the parents won't take proper physical care, the least they can do is contribute financially. And if they don't want to do that that, they should give up their rights and let that child be adopted by a family willing to take care of him.
    mitikusmom

Answer by mitikusmom at 8:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Some foster parents can take the bio parents to court for child support but, not usually.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If they cant even manage to take care of their children to the point of having them taken away from them.... HOW are we going to get them to pay.

GREAT idea... but i dont see how it would work.

If you dont care enough to parent properly... why would you even care to pay???
    Anonymous

• they cant in the uk .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Seems reasonable. The non custodial parent pays child support to the parent with 'full custody' so I guess if the child is in state care asking the parents to pay a form of child support would be no different...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Hmmm, you bring up an interesting conversation here.

Since the father has to pay child support to the mother (or vice versa), then it would seem like yes, you would need to pay child support to whomever has the children.

Chances are, however, the reason why the child(ren) were taken away in the first place is because the parent(s) couldn't afford to properly care for said child(ren).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It is awesome in theory but I think the one poster is right they are taken away because they can't take care of their kids I don't think the government will get a dime out of them besides the taxes that they pay through their paychecks.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

.... courts order money to be taken out of paychecks all the time... I am drawing a blank as to what that is called...
    Anonymous