How do I keep plants alive in the summer in Arizona?

And not the cold part of az I live in buckeye, az near phi and it's hot. All my plants shrivel and die.

Hapsand123

Asked by Hapsand123 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Get some water-storing crystals (you can get them at any gardening store - even walmart) and mix with soil as directed. It holds extra water and releases as needed to give the plants the water they need. Also, cover around the plants with mulch or other ground cover to also help keep soil from drying out so quickly.

It can't help problems with too much direct sun or extreme temperatures, though. For that... um... fake plants or cacti?
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We have an inground watering system outside and we get our trees treated with a deep root treatment every couple years. Its kind of expensive but when you compare it to the price of the landscaping its worth it. i don't have flowers so I won't be much help there.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It sort of sounds like you've got plants that can't tolerate that kind of heat and direct sun. I'd suggest researching on google plants that can tolerate your kind of conditions(agave comes to mind) and see what you can find. Try searches like xeriscaping, full sun plants, etc.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I live in avondale. are you talking about your outside or inside plants?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes I am. And I couldn't tell you what kind they were. I did have some daisies but not sure what the other ones were.
    Hapsand123

Comment by Hapsand123 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Oh and I did what it told me to with watering them.
    Hapsand123

Comment by Hapsand123 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yeah I was thinking of putting fake flowers in my pots. Lol. Thank you tho, because I am growing some trees.
    Hapsand123

Comment by Hapsand123 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Oooo great tip. Sounds great. I will def do that.
    Hapsand123

Comment by Hapsand123 (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I live in Glendale and it's difficult to get plants growing here too. We planted Cat's Claw vines a couple years ago and two of the three are doing very well now. We also have a Mexican Bird of Paradise (which I love) and have gotten other trees started from the seeds when they fall and start a new growth. Eight new trees have started from that one tree. (The rest I pulled.) Oleander is another good one. We have three "teen" trees and two shrubs. Katie Ruella ground covers are also good. I've gotten new plants growing from the seeds spreading around also. Hope that helps.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 5:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2011