How did you decide on an OB?

What questions did you ask them? What made you go with the decision you made?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 8:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I went mostly on recommendations from friends - giving most credence to the friends of mine who have similar views to mine on child rearing/birthing. The OB for my first child was pretty much chosen by my insurance company - it was Kaiser Permanente at the time.

Answer by missanc at 8:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• First I checked my insurance company for someone on their preferred providers list. Then I called the hospitals for a recommendation on a high risk specialist (which I needed). Then I called offices to check avaliable appointments and if they were accepting new patients. As for what to ask that will depend on you. I liked to know I wasn't going to be pushed into a c-section, who covers for them if they happen to be on vacation when I go into labor, where they deliver, when I should call with concerns, if they do VBACS. etc etc.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The decision I made was based on that he delivers ALL his own patients, he is a high risk specailist, I could call any time day or night, he does v-bacs, will not induce unless there's a valid reason to do so, and will not c-section unless it's an emergency. He didn't have the best bedside manner, but he was highly professional. I trusted him to do what was best for both me and my baby. I ended up liking him so much he delivered three of mine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Recommendations from friends. It never occurred to me to ask quetsions. I trusted him and he didn't let me down. But that was just one child. My other two were born at Air Force hospitals and you see all of the OB's on staff and just hope that you will like the Dr who delivers your baby. But, I figure that the delivery only takes a few hours, just a tiny blip in time and if you and the baby come throught it fine,that;'s all that matters.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I was on medical coupons while pregnant with my son. I went to the closest clinic for 8 months. In that last month I learned that she did not deliver ANY babies. For my last few weeks I went to a different clinic that was across the street from the hospital. I wound up with the on-call doc delivering.

From there I needed a pediatric doctor. The first doc I loved, but was not on our insurance plan so I had to go looking again. Tried for the pediatric doc that was on call for his birth, but she was not accepting new patients. BUT, one of her fellow doctors was. We've been going to that family practice doctor since my son was 2 months old. He'll be 8 in October. I LOVE the doctor, but that clinic, and hospital, we recently taken over by a bigger name hospital and I'm less and less pleased with the way the support staff is treating us. Still love the doctor though.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If you're unsure about what kind of a care provider it might be better to start with a midwife instead.
    Generally they will provide better care / safer outcomes.
    If you should discover you're having complications that make you "risk out" with normal maternity care providers then you can hire the specialist/high risk doctor/surgeon (OB).

Generally it's great to prepare and read a little, make a list of questions (I have some I can share), and then interview a few providers.
    You can take notes in your interview and sleep on it for a little while.
    Knowing what you expect prior can help you make a decision more quickly...

More help is always available!
    :-)

I wouldn't use an OB personally. I am familiar with hospital settings, OB-style care, statistics, and medical practice to go that route when midwives are available!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011