OK i need some serious advise about my 4 year old...

alright, so my son will be 4 on the 13th of this month and he had never really been on a sleeping schedule. my husband and i have tried on and off and it never lasts more than 2 or 3 nights. he likes to stay up till we go to bed and even at 9 am it is just about impossible to wake this kid up!! he would sleep till 2 pm is i let him lol never let him sleep past 10 but he stays up till 12 or 1am!! i honestly dont have a problem with it, i love him being right with me all the time but my husband doesnt like it and i know he needs to be on a schedule. he is perfect with everything else but the sleeping thing, weve had to slowly get him out of our bed and now he has his bed RIGHT next to ours, literally touching or he says scared :( so for his birthday we have gotten him a twin bed which we will keep in our room but we are moving it to the other side of the room and now i am pregnant due in october and he has got to get on a sleeping schedule!! how do i do it. i feel like 4 years of damage has been done and its irreversible!! help me please somebody... i need to get him going to bed by 8 or 9 at the latest. with the baby coming and it would also be nice to have an hour or two of alone time with my husband at night.

just to add... he does not take a nap during the day either he hasnt taken naps in probably close to 2 years.

mbright3747

Asked by mbright3747 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• start pushing back bedtime by 15-20 minutes each night, he is going to have to get used to going to bed earlier if he is going to function in kindergarten
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You have to wake him up in the morning, no matter how hard it is. Wake him up and keep him going, take him to the playground, out to lunch, to the pool, etc. It will probably be a couple fairly hellish afternoons because he will be worn out, but assuming he's going to start school in another year or so you're going to have to do it sometime.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• There's a big misconception amongst people that you need to go to bed early and get up early, especially with children. But we are all different. That's why there are some people that are best suited to overnight jobs. If it wasn't that their bodies handled it well, they would get sick and die. My last one is just like yours. I would tease that she slept like a teenager. But that is what works best for her. She's 8 and going to camp next week, it's not going to be fun when she has to be at breakfast at 7:30, but she'll have fun. Although we are able to work with a schedule like that because I homeschool and she is the youngest. My suggestion to you is first, if he's taking a nap, take the nap out of the schedule at least until you have him sleeping earlier. Get some chamomile tea to give him at night. Spend the last couple of hours outside in the sun having him run it off. Good luck and congrats!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Get your answers from an expert. What I recommend is the book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's the best book on sleep. It will change your life and the new baby will be on a great schedule by 2 months. Trust me on this. Get the book!

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• well first of all make him lie down at 8 pm sit with him on his bed for the first week the the next week move to your bed. then the next week go to the door then the next week out side the door just do this every night until he is used to it. also you need to think at what point your going to take him out of your room. You do know that at the age of 4 or 5 it is against the law for you child to be in your room you have to check ur state laws but in fla where i am from its 5
    helpstepmom27

Answer by helpstepmom27 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• also he might fight u at first but if u want one on one time u have to stick to ur guns
    helpstepmom27

Answer by helpstepmom27 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You gotta be consistant with his bedtime. Is he in school? You should really get him in school or a program cause for me that helped my daughter to go to bed at descent hour cause she was so tired from all the activities she did at school. Also be firm and consistant when it's time for bed. Keep putting him back in bed if he gets up. I know it's a hassel and probably stressful but eventually he will know when bedtime is and will do it. He's a bit old to be doing this bit.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't know if this is a "rule" but at the age of three most of the kids start refusing nap time. They are full of energy and if they could they can stay up all night. Many mothers report that the food that children before bedtime can determine how long the child will need to fall sleep. I don't know if this is true but is something to think about!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Schedule and consistency is what you need. Children thrive on predictability, that's why they want to watch the same movie 20 times in a row.

Dinner at X time
    Bath at X time
    Jammies at X time
    Books/songs/in bed at X time

After you put him to bed with kisses and cuddles he stays there. 1st out of bed it's cuddles, I love you and back in bed. 2nd time out of bed it's I love you and back in bed. 3rd+ time out of bed you say nothing and back in bed. It'll be a fight because y'all have had 4 years to run this in the ditch, but it CAN be turned around.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• right just make him go to bed a little earlier
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011