Stinky kitchen sink drain

I need a cheap and effective way to get rid of the bad smell coming from my kitchen sink drain.

I have tried:
bleach
vinegar & baking soda
delimer
drain-o

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 8:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If you have a garbage disposal, try having it eat up some lemon pieces, peel too. If not, then try some lemon juice from the bottle down the sink.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I know that you mentioned you tried baking soda, vinegar and etc. But the did you pour hot boiling water afterwards?

I usually put a tablespoon of baking soda in the drain, followed by a cup of vinegar then hot boiling water.

I do this weekly and it works.

I hope this helps
    jewelry-lady

Answer by jewelry-lady at 9:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• have you tried JUST vinegar and letting it sit in the draiin for a few hours before rinsing?

Or you could try a couple of cups of lemon juice and let it sit for a few hours.

Did you let the bleach sit for a couple of hours? If you just ran it through, you may not have given it time to work.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Did you use white vinegar?
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 9:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I do not have a garbage disposal. I did not try boiling water yet, just hot faucet water. I the bleach sit and let the vinegar sit before rinsing with hot tap water. I used white vinegar.
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If necessary, you may have to remove the trap under the sink as it may have something stuck down in it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Are you connected to town sewerage or do you have a septic tank?
    06Lilraysmom

Answer by 06Lilraysmom at 9:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I put about a cup of baking soda, a few squirts of lemon juice from fridge bottle (sometimes I skip this) and about a cup of salt. Let sit in drain for a while, then flush with BOILING water. It works well. (I don't have a garbage disposal, either, but when I did the lemon trick worked GREAT!!)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Try lemon
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Draino
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2011