Is there anyone christian and strong out there willing to take me under their wing?

I'm Jennifer, 30 yr old single mom of my 7 yr old little boy Malachi. We temporarily live w my parents (his grandparents.) His father is not in the pic so his Papa and 2 uncles are his male figures. We raised him on the farm with alot of love. He is having trouble in school and wetting his pants and bed alot. Malachi is a good boy with a big heart but has passion and fire (which i know can be used for the good and i love that in him.) He is goofing off in class, being class clown, not stoppping rough housing when others ask him to stop, kissed a girl on the playground. My fam and I are consistant with discipline and I do not let him get away w any of this kind of behavior at home. Why is he doing this? How should i deal w it? Could this have to do w me working all the time, then sometimes going out, and yelling w frustration at him when i am home? Help!

Jenniferceleste

Asked by Jenniferceleste at 7:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he is wetting himself and doesnt usually this is usually a sign of an underlying upset.

How about asking him why he does those things.

Disicpline isnt the best way to go. I would recommend you read www.unconditionalparenting.com and try to resolve this issue in the best way you can for your child.
    Anonymous

• You may want to take him to see a psychologist. There is an underlining issue with your son. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Ravenmare

Answer by Ravenmare at 7:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I teach first grade. Sometimes kids listen better at home because they are spanked, and they know no one at school can spank them (Not that I am up for spanking or trying to start that debate, I have just noticed that in my classroom). But with the bed wetting, if that is new, it is usually because of a life commotion (little as it may seem to a adult).. The clowning and rough housing is usually to make and maintain friendships. Maybe talk to him about what a real friendship looks like. Tell him how he is making teachers and others around him feel when he behaves this way. I have found that a good mellow talking to will sometimes break through to kids. Good luck, pray for him. and just love him with all you heart! He will come through!

Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree with all the above. Especially the one about being tested. Often really smart kids act out in school because they are bored. Could be ADHD. or some other treatable thing. Also bed wetting that starts suddenly is a sign something is wrong. Don't ignore it and don't punish for it. Give him the freedom to speak openly about what's bothering him. No matter what he says don't get defensive, just listen. I'll pray.
    granmaw56

Answer by granmaw56 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2008