Reward program for a three year old?

Does anyone use a rewards program for their three year olds? Looking for a simple idea that he would understand. We have a hard time with the bed time routine, he LOVES to play games and the routine ends up an hour long. We also have a new baby in the house so I was looking for an idea for him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We used quarters as a reward for potty training with my son... he loved that and it only cost us about ten bucks. Then he got to pick out his own toy at the store.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I have a goal chart for my 3 year old. She loves putting stickers on it :) once she gets the whole week full she gets to pick out a small toy or treat for the week. Works pretty well for her. I constantly hear, "mommy, do I get my listening sticker for today?" Lol for some reason that is the only thing she cares about. We have about 6 goals on her chart and that is only one of them.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I got this suggestion a few weeks ago form another mom in one of my groups. She has jars on the counter labeled with prizes. When the kids do something well they get to add marbles to the jar of choice. When the jar is full they get the reward. for example. a small jar for a piece of candy, A medium jar for a picnic at the park and a large jar for a trip to the movies...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think its great! We do "stickers" as currency, and so many stickers are worth a reward. Ours isn't for "chores" (like the bedtime routine), but for trying new foods--our rule is that our daughter has to try a food 20 times before she is "exempt" from having it put on her plate (which might sound excessive, but it took 17 tries on carrots before she decided she not only liked them, but they were her favorite food). We have been thinking about coming up for specific tasks for her, but since we are about to move cross country, we thought it would be better to wait!
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• But_Mommie, I LOVE that idea!

My three-year-old does well with short-term rewards, but the long term we haven't gotten into as much. She's so much quicker at just doing things because we said so than my 6-yr-old ever was.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't yet cause my son is only 15 months but I plan to use a reward system when he gets alittle bit older
    Kat1990

Answer by Kat1990 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2011