Kids, parenting, and movie theaters.

Forever ago I was told that movie curtesy was to remove the child from the theater so it won't ruin it for other people trying to watch the movie. Stateside...they had early matinees so parents could take their children to movies before bedtimes, so that it wouldn't ruin it for those that go to watch it late in the day. Movies on THIS base usually start at 6pm?? No way around it. Going to say...I took all four of my kids to see Kung Fu Panda 2 when it came out here. The first showing of it was super packed. Not just in line an hour before the movie started, but it was packed...so we waited for the 2nd showing of it that night.

Parents know how little ones can get. Unpredictable. They accept kids will be loud or mobile. As I waited in line, I saw kids wearing pajamas to view the movie, I saw little ones running around being loud. In the theater...it was the same. Kids were babbling, screaming, crying, and some were stuffing their faces full of popcorn and candy to keep themselves quiet. Others just fell asleep sometime in between.

Not everyone that went to see that movie were children or parents...but they expected the curtesy of being able to watch and enjoy the movie. Kind of puzzled by that. Okay, during the first part of Harry Potter...my 2 yr old decided to babble up a storm (he's always been able to sit through a movie quietly, but during that movie...LOUD) so hubby and I took turns being out of the theater with him so the other could watch the movie with the older kids. This was Kung Fu Panda 2...once again, my little one was a bit of a chatter box when he wasn't chowing down on sugar. He did manage to fall asleep during most of it, but there were other kids loud and attention did spin a few heads.

Would you have taken your little one out of the theater if they were being loud...when the entire theater had kids being loud? Would you have stayed and just accepted the noise? Not everyone cares to wait for the movie to be on DVD to watch it. Some people like watching it to see if it's even own worthy. I dunno, just wondering what your take on this is.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 9:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I expect and accept a certain amount of noise and disturbance at a kids' movie. The ones that really get my goat though are babies (I'm talking 2-6 weeks old) at some Rated R movie. Granted they don't understand the plot or any of that. In *my* opinion a movie theater is just too LOUD for that little one. Heck, it's too loud for ME and I'm fully grown.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i would take my ds out of the movies. he's 3.5 yrs and we have planed in advance what we will do when we take him to see cars 2 for his first movie. Our plan is....wait a few weeks after its out, go early in the morning or early afernoon to see it when hopefully there will not be to many people. he might not be very loud but i know there might be "mater!" and several "mommy look!!!!"'s happening lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• we're planning on taking our DD to see Kung Fu Panda 2 for her b-day (she's turning 3) and its her first time in a theater. since we have to luxury of going to a matinee im not going to bother taking her out if she talks too much cause its a kids movie. i never expect to watch any kids movie without some disruptions, but if the whole theater is loud then why bother missing the movie?

from what i remember of overseas on-base movie theaters, they only play one or two movies at a time and that some ppl go see the movie every weekend no matter whats playing. im sure those ppl know what they're getting into before they buy their ticket, so i wouldnt worry about it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I work at a movie theater and the sad fact is that you can't please everyone. I would never expect a sold out kids film to be a quiet experience, but there will always be someone in theater who does. And en he comes out and yells at me. Swears loudly in the lobby and Demands passes and refunds. You did the right thing in HP, but if I were you in panda and the whole theater was loud, I would have just sat there with my kid.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If everyone was being loud then I wouldn't worry if my kid was being a little chatty.  Now if she was screaming and crying, I would take her out. I usually take my daughter in the evening to kid's movies because around here there aren't a lot of people (if any) in the theatre because she likes to ask a lot of questions.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• At a kids movie, I expect noise, but things such as out and out temper tantrums ets, then I think the parent should remove the child.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2011