why is it when I help my...

child with his or her homework I get so upset and impatient?
I hate that of me, If I am not yelling I am very upset with them.
I try to be patient but they make it so hard for me. I take a deep breathe and start over and finally we complete the work but why go through all drama.

Sometimes I yell from a distance from the top of my lungs to where my throat feels like it is going to pop (feels hot) weird. What can I do to ease my patience. I know I might not be the only one. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when you start to get stress most likley they are too why dont yall take a 5min break away from each other or talk about something else. it helped my mom..
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Sounds like you are the one making it hard on them. Remind yourself that they do not have to be perfect, they don't have to get everything right and they don't have to do things as quickly as you might have done them. They are kids, they need help, guidance, and patience. Maybe if you have difficulty in this area, you might consider hiring a tutor to help with homework time. A high school kid from the neighborhood should be a reasonable/affordable option.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Make a homework routine. Always do homework in the same place in the same time slot, and set small manageable goals. Use a kitchen timer to establish a reasonable time limit per page or 5 problems or so if there is a lot of work. Leave the child to do it on their own. Homework should be a review, so they should be able to do that. If they have trouble have them seek you out, then you can offer a bit of help. If the homework is constantly too difficult go see the teacher. Often we have no clue about the homework problems at home, because parents seem to hide them from us, like it is your fault! Don't be afraid to talk with the teacher, and let your kiddo loose recess if you are forcing them to do homework.

Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008