How can I help my son who is adhd and forgets to turn in his homework?

aria10

Asked by aria10 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• He may have ADHD but, he is not ADHD. Remind him or write it on his hand, eventually he will have to be responsible for his actions and that includes his own homework.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Correct me if I'm wrong. A student with this kind of diagnosis is supposed to have "support" by support I mean anything that will allow him function in the classroom. What kind of educational supports does your son have in school?
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• That support for kids with ADHD has it's limits. The child still needs to be responsible for his actions and that includes handing in his homework. My son has ADHD and has supports in place but he still has to learn how to control and live with his symptoms because there isn't always going to be someone there to hold his hand and tell him or remind him to hand in his homework. He is old enough to write it all in an assignment notebook, get reminders in the morning from mom or dad, but the ultimate responsibility is HIS. My son is learning how to deal with his symptoms and has learned to hand things in right away in the morning, write it down in a notebook. It doesn't always happen but he is getting better.I do NOT allow my son to use the ADHD as a crutch, he will have this the rest of his life and he needs to know how to deal with it, without supports.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Take him to a doctor and have him tested for it. My mom took me and had me tested for it and they tell you the results the same day. And they put me on medication that helps a whole lot.
    Chelsea016

Answer by Chelsea016 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Thank you for your comments. I truly believe there might be different levels of adhd. I also do not allow my son to use adhd as a crutch, but because I know he has it high I help him, and remind him. The support that he gets occasionally is from the director of a 5o4 plan, that really is not helping him at this time. I need to try something different. His/our goal is for him to be independent. I'm planning on making him a daily/hourly check list for his own self. I am hopeful that this might work. I am a single parent and I am his advocate and I will do anything to help him with this. He just turned 14.
    aria10

Comment by aria10 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• What do you do? Have his teachers email him his homework assignments so that he can check them when he gets home. THEN have him make a homework folder that stays in his backpack. Once homework is complete, it goes in the folder and then that becomes the 1st thing that teachers ask for....One for each class. Make this part of his 504 plan. Be proactive and get as many helps installed into that 504 as possible. Also, if you only had him tested for ADD/ADHD - have him tested for learning disabilities also.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Organize his backpack. For each class, a separate binder with 3 folders- One for homework, one for projects (that take a few weeks or even a few days), and one for papers that need to go to/from the teacher (one side to the teacher/school, one side from the teacher/school). I heard color coordinating for children with ADHD works great. So color coordinate for each class.

Also, get him an agenda. Ask his teachers to sign off on his agenda for each class after he's written down the assignments and when they are due. Then you sign off when you see them complete. Ask the teachers to then put a check next to the items as he turns them in.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I had homework issues with my kids.... I worked it out with the teacher where I would scan and email it to them and at the same time encouraged my boys to hand it in.... this way he was still being tough to do it but if he fell short he wasn't docked for not doing it.
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 10:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I bet if you go everyday for a week and hand it to the teacher your self, he might begin to remember, sure it is harder for him than others, but don't let him use his disorder as an excuse.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• mommyaiken--that is NOT teaching him to live with his disorder. That is having someone else responsible for his inaction. He should still be docked when HE doesn't hand in his homework. What he is going to do when he is in college? Have mommy scan his work and turn it in for him? He needs to be taught skills that will help in in life. Kids and people with ADHD can learn to cope with their skills and turn in their own work. I do it every week myself. It's not easy, but I have learned. Having a GPA that falls because I don't get credit for work that I didn't hand in is a big motivator.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011