Could they fire me over this? Plz help!

Hey well I just started workin at Subway and Im a couple days late and I was just wondering if they could fire me over being pregnant.. If i am. I haven't taken a test yet bc im giving it a couple of days. But if i find out i am pregnant, could they fire me?

Grace91

Asked by Grace91 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• They can not fire you for being pregnant. That would be discrimination.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Legally speaking..No, they can not fire you simply due to the fact that you are pregnant. That is illegal.

With that said.. IF you live in a "work at will" state and especially since you are technically in the 90 day probationary period. They can fire you for just about any reason legally..

So. Can they legally fire you for being pregnant..No.. Can they fire you just to fire you if you life in a work at will state, yes pretty much. Is that a hokey catch 22 .. Yes, yes it is and one that most definitely works in the employer's favor. However that is the reality of "work at will" situations.

Most likely though, you will not experience any issues at work due to your pregnancy. Since you don't even know for sure yet, I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you, and I surely wouldn't say anything until I knew for sure.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• they arent supposed to, but companies now days act as if its something else. If you are i would not tell them until you HAVE to. then you will have already established a good work ethic with them and they wouldnt even consider it!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No they can't legally fire you. You also do not have to tell them you are pregnant either. Why not stop stressing and find out first??
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• not legally. I agree with babymaddy.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• well said pixie trix
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• no they cannot fire you legally anyway
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• NO, they cannot legally fire you, but they can request you get a doctors note saying you can work and be on your feet all day to protect themselves against a workers comp claim.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No, they cannot legally fire you for being pregnant and most employers wouldn't even want to do that. If they are unhappy about it, just be sure you are on time and do your work well so they have no excuses to let you go.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 11:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2011