Need advice... I'm a recent graduate setting out to be a teacher. Can't find a job in hometown. Should I move to find a job or stay here and settle for a job outside of teaching to be close to my husband. If I move my husband would come later like a year. We have two small children.

lmorga006

Asked by lmorga006 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• why would he not come now? and who would your children stay with? I think it would be best to look for something other just to get a job and keep looking for a teaching job, if nothing happens in a years time then you all move together! I would not live away from my family, plus wouldnt that defeat the purpose of getting a job if you are paying either 2 rents or 2 mortgages?
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• There is a huge budget crunch in schools right now. I know where I live schools are cutting teaching jobs and/or not replacing retiring teachers at all in order to save funds. What is the likely hood that you will get a teaching job elsewhere? Why don't you stay where you are for now and apply for jobs before you move? That way if you get the job, you can move, but if not, you can stay and look for something else to do in the mean time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Do tutoring at home? you can stay home and make some money.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would not leave my family. We would have to make that move to gether. Do he have a job who take care of the kidz
    inlovewith4

Answer by inlovewith4 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Families belong together
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Try substitute teaching A LOT of school districts pay more to subs than regular full time teachers.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Why would you have to move? You don't have to live in the town you teach in. You can look in all the town around where you live as well!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Is your livelihood dependent on your job potential, or his? Is his job stable and is it something you can depend on? Those 2 things really dictate what and where you should go. Are you located in an area that is deficient in job security, and it would benefit you both to move to a more productive metropolis? Take everything into consideration. Teachers are always in demand. It is like the medical field....there will always be a need. If there is something you can do in the meantime, and if your husband's job is stable enough to withstand the deficit, then I say stay where you are, and continue to look. You can always substitute teach, which I do, or be a teaching assistant....until you find the permanent teaching position. But that also depends on the economy of where you live. If you are in a rural environment and it would benefit you to move, for the family, then do that. But I would make sure the husband could go!
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 10:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• BTW...while I know you would like to have a great teaching position...family comes first, always! So, if there is anyway to stay, and find something else until you can find the teaching job of your dreams, then I would definitely recommend staying put, stay with your husband, your family, and watch what happens. You might be amazed!
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 10:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would substitute in the town with your husband. There are no teaching jobs available now anyway, and it seems unfair to split your family up if you did happen to find a job.
    Anonymous