Im starting to think my son will have issues with authority and playing with other kids when he goes to school :(

my son is VERY bossy. likes telling everyone what to do, but HATES being told what to do.. and throws a fit if i make him do something. and to top it off, he rarely plays with other kids.. except our neighbor kid whos 3yrs older than him. i try taking him to several places with other kids and he won't play with them. he'll sit and watch them play but won't join in. ive taken him to the mcdonalds play place a couple times and he refuses to go into the jungle gym because other kids are up there. i feel like ive been raising him all wrong these past 4 years :( someone please help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe you could practice some role playing exercises with him so he knows what to expect and isn't shocked with something new. Go over good behavior and bad behavior.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Is he uncomfortable socializing or just defiant? because I am a caregiver to an autistic 7 year old and when I take him to therapy he wont go play in the waiting room if there are other kids, he waits outside,, Im not saying your son has autism, but do you think there could be something wrong?

angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• he just doesn't like to play with kids he doesn't know. he plays with a few kids he does know, but he gets out of control. like today we had the neighbor kid over and my son got too crazy and thought it was funny to try and tackle the boy, and pretend like hes gonna throw his toys at him (he didn't actually throw them). i just don't understand why... i need to know what im doing wrong :( he's my first child and im only 22.. so i could use some advice!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Be consistant! If he does something to a child while they play put him in time out for the amount of his age, so your son is 4= 4 min. if he doesnt stay make him go back even if it takes all day.. he will see you are serious. And my son used to be the same way, he was not a good socializer with other kids, he would do things out of anger and u know what one day a kid in his class threw a chair at him and he got a taste of his own medicine(not that I was happy he was hurt, but it taught him a lesson) Take something away for the day that means alot to him when he misbehaves and go day by day.(if he misbehaves he loses something, if hes good he doesnt) but u take it away for the whole day . You are going to think your being harsh, but it worked for my son and he is 9 now and all i have to do is say no video games or whatever if u dont knock it off. well it worked lol, he stopped. It just takes alot of consistancy.. Hope I helped
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Oh and one time me and my husband got so mad with his behavior that we bagged up all his toys, put them in the closet and everydey he was good he earned back one toy of his choice and if he didnt behave he got nothing back that day. that took a LONG time lol, but it worked.. Just some ideas for you. If you start now young hopefully itll sink in to him to behave and when hes good everything little thing praise him for it. And if hes good so many days in a row take him to get icecream or whatever.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my son sounds very much like yours and he is 3. I have him in therapy for it and the dr feels there is absolutely an underlying issue, but he is unsure of what yet. We just started really, its "play therapy" in a toy room and we are still in the warming up stage.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 5:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Your son and my son can play together and boss each other around. LOL. My child has lots of these tendencies and it sounds like he just isn't accustomed to or ready for that kind of interaction. Perhaps a part time preschool or playgroup where he plays with the same kids over and over will get him warmed up to social interactions.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• maybe by slowly taking him around more social interaction so he will become use to them.
    Kat1990

Answer by Kat1990 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2011