Does this sound like a developmental delay?

My son is 7 months old and i recently have become worried. He doesnt respond to his name but does respond to voices, he wont make eye contact for more then a second when feeding, stares at fans constantly and focuses on tags of toys... is this normal? Im not around mothers with babys his age very often so i would much appreciate any thought.

MamaHope2

Asked by MamaHope2 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would try to bring it up to the doctor but i would check his ears because maybe he is not hearing properly. he is very young so they get so distracted so easily. i really don;t even know so i would def call the doctor and bring it up.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• it kinda seems like his depth perseption might be off. And he may not know yet what his name is but hears sounds in clips if that makes sense. i would have his hearing checked and have a doc look him over but at this young age i would not worry just yet. if this keeps up for another 3 months then i would start to worry.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Both of my kids loved tags and fans. Try talking to him as much as possible and use his name often. I would bring it up with your dr. It's better to check and it be nothing than let an issue go.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Take him in it doesn't sound right......better be safe then sorry later on when he is in school
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• do you say his name a lot or do you use pet names? sometimes if you use pet names more they don't properly learn their real names
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I do say baby sometimes but i use his name more... i put it songs and try and use it often. The thing that worries me most is the eye contact.. has anyone else had this problem?
    MamaHope2

Comment by MamaHope2 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I had many of the same concerns with my dd. She hardly ever looked at me when nursing & could care less if you were trying to get her attention using her name or anything. I don't remember specifically what the doctor said, but basically it was not to worry. She is a year old now and right on track. Just keep using his name & talking to him and all that. Remember - it's never too early to read to them as well and that helps with early communication.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 3:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2011