Is bee keeping in a suburban neighborhood backyard legal?

A new neighbor mOved in and he's keeping bees in his backyard. I've noticed we have Alot more bees in our yard this year and I'm worried with my two boys. I don't know how many they have but my neighbor goes out in his "bee suit" everyday.

Februarymom2009

Asked by Februarymom2009 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Call your city and ask. Also it could depend on your home owners association, so call them too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It probably varies city to city.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• That doesn't seem right! I'd definitely put a call into city hall!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• you'd have to call your city or town hall to find out the laws ans restrictions.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Honey bees aren't as aggressive as things like yellow jackets, wasps, etc. Talk to your neighbor and/or google some beekeeping info. Bees are very necessary and have been on a decline that is just plain alarming. Without bees, humans don't eat ~ it's that simple. They pollinate flowers, any garden plants you have, fruit trees, and also create honey.

I'm very allergic to them, and still considering putting in a few hives (although we're out in the boonies). I don't know where you live, but most townships and counties allow them.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Depends on what the city ordinances are. Call your city hall and ask.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would think it would be fine. Bees are in a shortage right now, so if it were me, I wouldn't say a word. Plus, you can probably get some free honey out of it. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2011