How do I get our 3 year old to sleep in his own bed and not ours?

Our 3 year old has slept with us from Day 1 and he thinks that it's his bed. I have loved having him there, but feel that it's time for him to sleep in his own room.

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is a super cool book out there call "The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers" by Elizabeth Pantley that helped me a lot when I was trying to get my 2 year old out. Check it out from the library, it has a ton of suggestions, including making a "sleep book" and gradual removal from the room.

Answer by elleinad at 1:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Make "his" room somewhere where he wants to be. Maybe let him pick out the bedding etc. Our son was moved to his bed at 2 and he would often still get back into our bed until just recently he has started sleeping all through the night in his own bed (woohoo!!!). now i also allow him to have a t.v. in his room and he gets to watch one movie while he is getting ready for bed and usually before the movie goes off he is sound asleep. For the first few nights it may even help to lay in there with him until he falls asleep. GOOD LUCK!!

Answer by blakensara at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Landon goes to sleep in his room but he loves to come over and sleep in "the big bed" with me and Todd. He feels like he's a big boy and one of us. Almost every night after a couple minutes, we tell him that he has to go back to his bed. We may read him a story or sit in his room for a couple ninutes, but he generally is good with this.

Answer by Lindsay21488 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Basically, your son is just 3-years-old. So it is basically a challenge to have them sleep alone. What you might want to consider doing is put a nightlight in their room and maybe have them sleep with a toy or action figure that they love as a sign of protection and reassurance that everything is going to be alright. I would also recommend you check out this incredible website called Nogginpower2. What I learned from visiting Nogginpower2 is that they provide many types of manuals, such as Discipline and Getting a Good Night Sleep. It may be difficult at first for your three-year-old to sleep in his room, but the Sleeping Manual on Nigginpower2 should guide you into having your son eventually learning to cope with being alone. I hope this helps. Thank you and good luck.

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We don't have this problem, our son has slept in his room since he was 1 year old. I think that if you reward him for every night he stays in his room all night, it could work or if you get a little camera monitor and show him that you'll be watching him all night it may comfort him.

Best luck.

Answer by bebita at 1:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• sounds like your letting your 3 year old tell you what to do. that just isn't right. put him in his bed, and no matter how many times he gets up, just keep putting him back. it may take awhile, but he'll eventually realize that sleeping with you is not an option.

Answer by ginger813 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2009