19 month ols - my son's rocking problem... any suggestions?

he rocks in his crib, laying on his side with his arm underneath him (as to pivot off his shoulder) he places his head back (chin facing the ceiling and the back-top part of head is touching the mattress or whatever he is laying on. he takes and bends his legs and pushes off with his feet to rock as he moans - he rocks almost violently and it's horrible to watch. he will not fall asleep any other way. he also thrashes his head back-n-forth in the car seat and rocks on and off through out the day... sitting or standing. any advice would be great. it's not normal rocking... he also covers his head and wraps his blanket around his head and face.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My nephew does it but it is slow and gentle. I don't want to alarm you but you should mention this to the pediatrician. Please don't be alarmed but you need to rule out that he might not have any problems such as autism. That is one of the signs, though autism usually isn't diagnosed until the 2nd or 3rd year, but I would talk to your pediatrician to make sure.
    Anonymous

• I agree, talk to his doctor. It may be that this is his way of releasing stress - like some infants need to scream and cry no matter what mom does. Or it may be a sign of a problem. Ease your mind and ask.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• first signs of autism is rocking... my friends son rocks non-stop all day when ever he's not doing anything like when watching tv. hows his eye contact?
    alleykatt28

Answer by alleykatt28 at 3:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• have you told his dr about this? if not you should, good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2008