Teenage birth control as a status tool?

My daughter told me that 2 of her friends just went on bc. They are in 10th grade, have NEVER had a boyfriend, do not have one now, and have no under lying reason for bc.

But they ARE bragging that they are on it. Seems more of a status issue.

IF they had long term boyfriends (long in hs terms) I can see their parents taking precautions... but what message does THIS send. Go ahead and slut around because you are now protected?

Im just having a hard time wrapping my mind around arbitrarily putting them on with no boyfriend and no underlying reason... other than to brag about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think a lot of parents realize that these pills are hormones and trick your body. Women who use the pill long term have a harder time conceiving when it's "time." This is just the easy fix for parents these days because children are "going to do it anyway." Well, a lot of them are going to smoke and drink anyway, I don't see moms rushing out buying them cigarettes and beer to keep them safe and in the house with it so they don't get busted by the cops. They probably are bragging, but they probably do have them. It's "cool" now to be sleeping around, even if it's with the same boy for a LTR lasting a month or two until someone else comes along. It's not cool to teach your children abstinence and to respect their bodies and others because "everyone else is doing it" and you wouldn't want your child left out or teased because they were a virgin.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Some girls go on BC to regulate their period.
    BUT I rather have my daughter on BC before she has a boyfriend and does things. You cant stop your kids from having sex and by the time they have a boyfriend and they are asking for BC they are probably already having sex.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• And in a lot of cases, birth control can take some time before it really works effectively. So if you consider the girl has no boyfriend now, but her birth control takes 2 month before it is really in her system, a lot changes in 2 months. I would rather be safe than sorry. And frankly, I know a lot of teenage girls on BC that aren't sexually active, They just want to cover themselves in case they find themselves in that situation. I know that it seems weird to brag about, but at least they aren't bragging about the guy they screwed in the bathroom during 4th hour.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• How do you know there is no underlying medical reason?
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Many get on it to regulate or lighten periods, relieve cramping or now even to clear acne. I was watching Dr. Oz the other day and they answered teen questions. One girl was on birthcontrol for periods and was asking about long term effects. Dr. Oz actually asked the girls mother and another physician about the view that this is giving them the ok to have sex. What I found interesting, and actually makes sense is that the Dr. said that statistically girl on birth control are having less sex than those who aren't. Because they have more open and honest communication about sex in general. Of course I can't prove that fact (i haven't even looked), I just heard it on TV.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i could really find more things more worse than then bragging about being on bc. at least they are and are not on the show 16 and pregnant. As shocking as this may be and against some peoples idea of what is appropriate for this age they are at least bragging about being safe and not about having sex. As fast as these kids are going these days it's seems a nice chnge to hear about protection rather than stds and pregnancy
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• A lot of kids brag about things that aren't actually true - even to their best friends. That being said - I was put on BC my sophomore year to help with acne. I certainly didn't tell my friends WHY, but some of them knew I was on it. Like I have said in previous posts, you don't know what's going on unless you are there in the home with them.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 3:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think you're jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts.
    JanetR74

Answer by JanetR74 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011