What would be a good instrument to start my 7 (on July 2) year old on?

She wants to get into an instrument but neither of us knows anything about any kinda instruments. Any ideas?

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 11:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I liked violin at that age.But piano,violin and guitar are some of the easiest to get lessons and sometimes you can find someone to teach trumpet for unless she's really got her heart set on something else. They can all be a good way to learn music reading and to basically get them trained on musical processes and also can be easy to branch off from if she decides that she likes be that something with strings or one of the brass or woodwind instruments.

One last thing if she likes having long fingernails I wouldn't go with string instruments.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• trumpet. Easy to learn and play
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• what does she like? what kind of music does she like or want to play? take her to a music store and the clerk will be happy to show her any number of instruments and help her/and you decide
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 11:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• you could get her guitar lessons. If she can learn that the skies the limit!!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• piano
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Guitar. My son started when he was 6 and loves it 3 years later. They make really cute kids ones you can get at walmart for $30-$40 to see if is interested. If that doesn't pan out, you aren't out a crapload of money.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My DD plays the violin and loves it...not too hard on the ears either
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I played flute in 4th grade and cello starting in 7th.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011