When will CNA work become to harmful?

I do CNA work with elderly, I am 33 weeks pregnant, and I wondered if anyone could be helpful letting me know when about I need to quit working? My job responsibilities include cleaning rooms (changing sheets, making beds, cleaning mirrors, dusting, sweeping, mopping, taking out trash etc) toileting residents (which sometimes entails being support for them while they stand or get up and walk, or rolling them in bed or holding them on their sides while they get cleaned up) walking from building to building regularly (about every hour I move location on the the next house, and it has been so so hot!) With little time to sit and take a break. Some days feel fine and some days feel awful, so Im having a hard time deciding if Im getting "too pregnant" to be doing the work Im doing. Ive been put on the lightest duty my workplace offers, so when I cant do this, Im out of work until Im healed enough to come back. Any advice??

MommyOfTheBest2

Asked by MommyOfTheBest2 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You're still helping toilet the residents? You should not be toileting residents. Sorry, I am a CNA and I know it sounds easy helping someone use the toilet, but it's not. Are you swelling up? If you don't take it easy especially at this point it can become harmful.
    Fantasystar

Answer by Fantasystar at 11:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i think cna work is very hard and can get stressful .. so why don't you just take your leave and enjoy the last part of your pregnancy.. :) good luck
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Stop now it is not worth taking a chance on losing your baby or having infections etc from workplace exposure.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 11:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My sister was told to switch to a lower risk shift or he would put her on light duty at 13 weeks because she is having some complications. However, she has had some coworkers that worked up until 34 weeks or so. Its all up to you. I recommend avoiding pericare and toileting, bathing, or cleaning. Perhaps talk to your DON and see if you can do a light duty thing. Feeding and passing trays, stocking rooms and restrooms, that sort of thing.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• When your body says it's too much. I just worked with a CNA that is 37wks and she was still runnin the hospital floor.
    Anonymous

• My cousin worked as a CNA until the day her baby was born, literally. She got out of work, went to her doc appt., and was in the hospital 3 hours later. Of course she didn't do any lifting over 25 lbs. and had to have a second set of hands to help her when needed, but she still kept on working. It is all on how comfortable you are and if it is causing you any problems.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'm a CNA and was told that I was allowed to work as long as possible or as tolerated. Our bodies are so used to the work load that it wouldn't harm our pregnancy unless something did go wrong. I was took out at 31 weeks because of pre-term labor or I would still be there. I'm 37 weeks thursday.
    MGR09

Answer by MGR09 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2011