Hubby's employer is now testing for tobacco products, they are a tobacco free workplace. By November when open enrollment is in full effect all employees will be tobacco free what this means is everyone testing positive will be let go. What do you think of that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a recruiter at a staffing agency & we have 3 clients who are tobacco free companies. I have to give tobacco tests all the time. At first, I thought I would like this, but now I kind of hate it b/c its harder to recruit tobacco free employees. Companies do it for cheaper health insurance rates. And, smoking is not a protected class. But, yes, they can legally fire him if he is not tobacco free by then (and that even includes patches/gum 'cause those will show up on a tobacco test).
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Where does he work? I think its not right. Smoking is not illegal (although at this rate it probably will be soon) I say if they smoke off the property then whats it to them?!
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• what is this world coming to? I'm not a smoker, but to be let go of a company because you smoke! It's ridiculous!
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• This is the slippery slope created by the HCR. If your employer is legally required to provide you access to health insurance or they have to pay a fine, aren't they then entitled to set rules about what kind of health insurance they provide? Should they pay more because you won't quit smoking, if they have the option to hire someone else equally skilled (and in this economy, probably for half your salary) who also doesn't smoke?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It's called "Corporate communism". Big business doing what the government is prohibited from doing by the Constitution. They are coming into our personal lives and telling us what we can and cannot do. Quit smoking or lose your job. Eat what your told to eat or lose your job. Eventually it will be, think what we tell you to think, or lose your job. Speak up against company policy, lose your job. Quite simply...this is what we get when we all want to go around telling everyone else what we think they should be able to do or not do. When we all say...there ought to be a law against that simply because we don't like it! Example; I don't think men should wear pink t-shirts...there ought to be a law against that. We're getting what we have been asking for...big brother telling us what we can eat and drink, what we should wear, how we should think.
    Lee_E

Answer by Lee_E at 11:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think its BS and probably not true. I can see how they wont allow smoking in/near or around their work offices but they cant fire people for smoking on their own personal time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• As long as it's a private employer, they can do it. It probably gets them better rates on their health insurance for everyone.

It's like working for a church and signing a pledge that you won't drink alcohol. If they find you have been, you can be fired.

But I will agree it is a sucky situation for smokers that work there.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• So, if you are at a party where someone smoked and the next day you get tested, you can test postive for smoking when you didn't do it

===

Not true because they'll eventually make it illegal to smoke in your house and it's already illegal to smoke in any public venue. Parks even. I think it's ridiculous. I'm not a smoker but I believe people who do smoke have that right to light up where ever they damn well feel like it! It's their choice if they wanna poison their own damn lungs! It is not our choice to control their habits. As long as they are doing it outside, I don't get why people have a problem with it. THERE'S MORE DAMN POLLUTION IN THE AIR THAT WILL KILL YOU THAN THERE IS CIGARETTE SMOKE! WAKE UP!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Smoking is poison, and it's poison that affects us all. It is a sucky situation but regardless of the employers intentions in the end it's better if all smokers don't smoke, it's not like there are any advantages to it.
    ===
    And your car is a moving gas chamber.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Interesting side effect - nobody who is married to a smoker is going to pass that test, even if they don't smoke. Is a smoking spouse grounds for firing, too? Is it legal to fire someone for the behavior of someone else in the household?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2011