NOT A DEBATE! Christians will you give me your interpretation Leviticus 18:22

Leviticus 18:22
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

22 (A)You shall not lie with a male as [a]one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What do you get out of this verse? I am not very familiar with this and really didn't know about it until it was posted in another questions.

Please just give me your response and don't turn this into a debate. I am going to read on my, take opinions from other Christians and form my own. Thanks in advance for not turning this into a debate.

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 11:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The meaning, from my studies is that having sex with a male wastes the "seed" that may well have impregnated a woman. Survival in those days, was directly connected to population.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• A man should not have a sexual relationship with another man as he would with a woman. In other words a man shouldn't have sex with another man.
    Lee_E

Answer by Lee_E at 11:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I tried looking at other translations, but I can't figure out any other way to read it but what it says on the surface - Israeli men should not have sexual relationships with other men. Lev. 18 is a list of regulations given directly from God to Moses to pass along to Israel.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It seems pretty clear to me. God doesn't approve of homosexuality. In Old Testament times it was considered an offence punishable by death. Thankfully we are not under the penalty of the Old Testament law but grace. This does not make homosexuality right but allows those who wish to change mercy in God's eyes. We who profess to believe in the Bible should also extend mercy to those caught in any sin, be it alcoholism, pornography or sexual sin.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 1:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• When you read the entirety of the Chapter 18 of Lev., it lists many rules against unnatural sexual relationships (incest, etc.) for Israel. Verses subsequent to this one continue on with verses against bestiality, and then says breaking any of the laws defiles the person and the nation.

I have never seen a reading that it is merely out of the same "keeping clean" rules, like kosher rules about when you can eat certain meats together, as had been postulated by PP.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 7:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't see how you could interpret it any other way.
    It says that to have sex with another man is an abomination..
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My interpretation is that it is saying homosexuality is wrong.

And don't jump all over me, I'm not saying I agree, I'm just answering the question!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• isn't it referring to homosexuality?? imo

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't use the NASB, I use the KJV "thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination".....

Homosexuality is an abomination. Within that chapter it also discusses other sexual perversions like not laying with your child.
    Anonymous

• Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011