Possum trouble...

I have 2 cats and a chihuahua. All 3 of them are very territorial. And for the past 2 weeks, really late at night, they have been getting into it with something big (i hear it ran across the back porch), i have heard it hiss at my dog (i thought it was a neighborhood cat).well, last night i came face to face with it.. I heard scratching by our BBQ (stainless steel propane). I went to see if my dog had gotten stuck or something and there was a 13-15 pound possum! Holy Shit.. It scared me half to death! So i call my local aimal control and they tell me that they dont trap, capture, remove, or help relocate any animals.. I was think " well WTF do you do?" they tell me I have to pay some "trapper" $150 to come out and catch it, and another $60 to remove it... Again, WTF?
Any advice? I am so frustrated! Pay over $200 to get a possum away from my house?!
This may have been more of a vent, but I dnt know what to do. I guess, just Suck it up, pay the $, for my pets and family's safety.. Grrrr... If there is any possum repellant, let me know!

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 11:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Are your cats outside cats? If so, just keep their food at a level to where the possum cannot get to it. Once it realizes you are no longer providing it free food, it will go away.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I hear them every night on my roof they are so big they sound like a human, but they are a natural wild animal I can understand why they dont catch them, and if you pay to have him removed they can just as easily come back, so it may be a waste of money......we do in fact build on there territory so we just deal with it, we live in the country though and domestic animals just learn to deal with natures animals.
    Anonymous

• id put a trap out like a rabbit trap and put ham in ther and trap it and dump it off to die! lol i cant stand spiders or possums & raccoons
    scaryspider

Answer by scaryspider at 11:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Opossums can climb anything! They will actually kill your pets (lived in the country for 24 years and have had it happen) if they want food they WILL get it from any where. Sounds mean but your cheapest way out and safest for your pets is a shovel or shot gun depending on where you live.
    countrymama87

Answer by countrymama87 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you feed your pets outside, you are also feeding the possum. It's easy food and you can't really blame it for stopping by each night for a snack. They don't like noise and they don't like light. Try feeding your pets inside if you aren't, and when you hear it turn on a bright light and slap your door/window frame. A few encounters like that along with no food and it will most likely find someone else's porch to dine at.

We had one here a few months ago that was huge ... about 24 pounds worth. That one was shot because it was nosing around my chicken runs. The smaller ones we just ignore.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Our cays are outdoor cats.. And their food is kept inside.. And i just saw a baby possum...
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have many cats outside, I have opposum, every shape and size; I have raccoons, I have armidillo, and of course the list isn't complete with out the "skunk". The skunk has been here about a year it's still here. He has never once ever sprayed (there is a God), he mosies around the cats like he's part of the family, the cats don't mind him really, but they don't socialize with him (I assume its a him, not going to check either), on countless occassions I have walked up on the deck and there he would be, he has never made any effort to spray, I let him get his fill of cat food and water and he leaves (he actually lives under my house). I have walked up on him so close that i could touch his tail, not realizing its not one of the cats, I just tip toe back down the steps and wait until he gets his fill. I've thrown things at him to get him to leave, never flinched, never batted an eye, just kept on eating. He shows..............
    Granny19482302

Answer by Granny19482302 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Granny: we dont leave food out at all... And last night, i realized that my cats dont care about it, only my dog. It was walking right by both of my cats, and they didnt even move, hiss, or flick their tails. And she leaves the baby in my backyard, to go scavange, and none of my animals have hurt the baby, and the mom doesnt seem to mind my cats getting close. Its really wierd. Like you said " almost like part of the family". And now that i know it has babies, i cant even think about trapping it, without knowing hiw many babies there are. I love animals, so i dont want to hurt the thing, just want it to move on!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011