Confused...need Advise..should I hold my child back in 1st grade? Is a child expected to read and comprehend a story at the end of 1st grade?

valene0

Asked by valene0 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What do your childs teachers say?
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Well, I am not sure if they should be able to do all that or not but this is what I can contribute... I held my daughter back in 5th grade... it was a TOUGH decision. I was worried about her moving on with her classmates but I can tell you it was the best choice I ever made.... there is no way she would have been where she is now if I didnt.
    With that being said... is the teacher wanting to hold the child back or u?
    sweetsone

Answer by sweetsone at 12:14 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• He has trouble reading and is youngest in his class. his teacher said it would be the best thing to do and because he is so young. he was 6 his entire 1st grade year all others were at least 7
    valene0

Comment by valene0 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Unless the school says that it might be better for your child to repeat a grade, why would you want to hold her back? And even then, let them explain to you exactly why... what she should have accomplished by the end of 1st grade and what she did actually accomplish. Sometimes just having a tutor for a short period of time makes things easier for a child and things all of a sudden click. My dd has a friend who was not up to par with her reading until this year. The school put her in a reading program (extra help after school) and her parents got her a tutor. Now, just last week, she got "classic" certificate in reading! That means she reads at 6-7 grade levels. She is in third grade.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• The teacher said that he is not in need of special classes he is just young and needs to mature. he can read a story bit not tell you what he just read and I was told they are expected to be able to read and understand a story by the end of 1st grade
    valene0

Comment by valene0 (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Personally I would hold him back. In our district you had to be 5 on or before Aug 31st to attend kindergarten that school year. My son missed that cut off by 6 weeks. On a different mom networking site I asked whether to put him in early or wait another year. 98% of the replies came back wait. That was from parents that didn't wait, educators, and adult kids that wished their parents had waited.

One 4th grade teacher I talked to gave me the best advice. It's HARD to tech a young class (one with a lot of spring birthdays) because the maturity just isn't there. There were certain subjects that she almost couldn't teach because of all the giggling and immaturity.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• thank you all for your comments. I have been thinking about this everyday and if anybody else would like to give me more advise, I'm taking it all in and need anyones advise on this
    valene0

Comment by valene0 (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Keep him back now when it won't seem so traumatic to him, esp if the teachers recommend it and he's youngest in his class. He'll have an edge next year in his new 1st grade class and it will be good for his self-esteem.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 12:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Well my six year old neice reads & understands stories with very few stumbles. My 3yo is starting to learn how to read & comprehends all stories read to her.

What are they going to be doing the following year? Is your son going to be struggling bc he's behind? How is the teacher in the next grade? Will the teacher help him along with any extra help/time needed? I would look into what exactly he will be doing in the following year & base your choice off of that rather then what he does/dosent know right this moment, does that make sense? Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• no it doesnt always have to be that way all you really have to is help them more it doesnt hurt anything
    baby_GERARD_mom

Answer by baby_GERARD_mom at 2:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2011