Traveling w/ Toddler Help

Ok dh and I are planning a trip to California this yr and we've never flown w/ our ds who will be 16 months when we fly.

Whats the best way to go about things. We want him on our lap but will need a car seat when we get to our destination.

Any advice/helpful tips is greatly appreciated!

OhSara87

Asked by OhSara87 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Travel

• Buy/ borrow some "new" toys-- stuff she hasn't played with before. Novel entertainment lasts the longest. The carseat can be checked at the gate for free. If you can, get a direct flight. If not, take an umbrella stroller with you-- whizzing through an airport with a stroller is much easier. Plus, if your daughter wants to be held, you can load up the stroller with bags. Carry on with you a spare outfit or two for her as well as a spare outfit for you. My son barfed all over me mid-flight. Bring a diaper for every hour of the flight. Bring a half full thing of wipes-- airports are disgusting. Don't forget portable, easy snacks and a sippy cup for water. Try and get her to drink both at take-off and landing to clear up her ears.

If it's a long flight, talk to your pediatrician about giving her benadryl to help her sleep.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Most car rental companies will provide you a car seat either free of charge or at a minimal fee. We flew DD from OH to CA and back when she was 3 years old and it really wasn't as bad as I expected. Portable DVD player, snacks (NOT OPENED BEFORE GETTING ON PLANE), coloring books, blanket. I even messed with DD's sleep so that she would stay up late the night before and, therefore, sleep most of the flight...didn't really work that way, but it was worth a shot! LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Well, since you are not getting him a seat, you'll have to check in his car seat. I would take some toys (with no sound) and some books, lots of snacks, and a sippy cup. As the plane is taking off and landing, make sure you give him something to drink in his cup, it helps with the ears. I've flown with dd since she was 4 months old, and I've always done that and her ears didn't bother her. I hope that helps.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:25 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I travelled from Florida to Australia with our daughter when she was 23 mths, and she was wonderful!! Just make sure you take snacks, toys etc that she likes to play with etc, try to make the flight go along with her nap time if possible as once you get up in the air if she is tired you have a good chance of her sleeping majority of the way. Give her something to drink on the way up and down a sippy cup it will help if she starts to get any ear pain, its like an equivalent of an adult chewing gum to help with ascending etc. Good Luck!!

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Check the car seat as luggage they do it all the time. Of course have him on your lap--he'll feel better and he flies free that way and if you put him in a carseat on the plane you have to pay full fare for that seat too. My granddaughter loves to fly and is always great. Take along snacks and a few small toys, make sure to keep him well-fed and dry, and you'll be fine.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 12:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Most airlines check the carseats as baggage for free. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Maybe your LO will sleep the entire way!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Bring new toys and have a bottle or sippy cup ready to help his ears.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 9:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2011