How do i tell them?

SO my MIL and SIL will be flying from CA to MD In January. Im having a c section and they will watch my 2 year old in the hospital during the operation.After the operation its gonna take a few min to get put back together lol.I DO NOT want them to show the new baby to my daughter til Im in the room.I want to hold the new baby and have Hayden meet her sister in my arms..Does this make sense to any one lol.. I would love it if my ILs would just watch Hayden @ home and give my husband and i some alone time with her,BUT THAT will not happen..Do i tell my Dr not to let the baby out of the room until he is done with me?

ryanlynn

Asked by ryanlynn at 7:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yeah im sure you could as long as everything is ok ask him bout it and see what you can do congrats
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• they have to take her to the nursery...also you have to go to recovery since your having a c-sec. could be anywhere from 30min or like me 9hours..yikes...depending on when you can push your self up.
    umm...they can go a long way to the nusery if they can or have a friend keep your dd. until you call them after your in your room.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• You can try. But I don't know if they will do it. It might take a while for you to be ready to hold your baby and have visitors at the same time. You need to talk to your doctor about this

Answer by louise2 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Yes, you need to tell the doctor and the nurse.. and if you have, the midwife also... if you dont tell them they will show the baby to them. I totally understand what you mean and want and i agree. its a very special moment for you, hubby, new baby and of course for the big sister. The doctors and nurses should understand and respect this wish.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Just tell them. That is a perfectly legitimate and really sweet thing to want. ANy reasonable person would TOTALLY understand that. If they don't then just tell the nurses. The nurses will take care of you if you take care of them. Ultimately you are in charge. But honestly I can't imagine your inlaws not respecting that wish. It is completely reasonable and it makes TOTAL sense. Don't be afraid to just tell them.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would just flat out tell them. They should understand that you want to see your daughter meet her new sister for the first time. If they can't oblige then I would find someone else to watch her. I know I would be really mad if I missed that too.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• PS I had an unplanned c section with my baby and when I was in recovery it drove me absolutely off the wall to have all of these people coming into the room and telling be how beautiful my son was when I hadn't even seen him yet. I couldn't even speak I was so upset. But that all went away when I held my baby finally :) So I guess my point is that I know how important those first few moments are.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I had an unplanned csection and my son never left my side. My DH was there too and the nurses never took our son to a nursery while I was recovering. We all went to our room, which was a recovery room for csections and we stayed there our whole time in the hospital, and stayed there. The nurse came in to check on him and give him a bath, but that was in our room, not somewhere else.

Anyhow, I would hope that by just telling them how you feel, or better yet have DH tell him since it's his family, then they would abide by your and DH's wishes. But maybe not. Just let them know how you feel.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Most hospitals will respect your wishes. Let the nursing staff and your HUSBAND know what you want. Also tell your ILs that you will be getting sewn back up and that it will take about an hour. I they want to be at the hospital make them stay in the waiting room. Then when you are back in your room send your hubby out to get your daughter and have your family time alone. Then he can go back out and get the rest of the family. STICK TO YOUR GUNS. Its your baby and family. When I had my c-sec. with my son that was my only request that NO ONE see or hold my baby before me and my hubby. My husband had an hour by himself with our son. A while after I got in the room the nurse knocked on the door and asked if we were ready for visitors yet.
    lovinmymason

Answer by lovinmymason at 11:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Try to be honest with them. But I do know how in laws can be. We had to try really hard to keep them from coming to the hospital when I was in early labor. They still came earlier than necessary, but there was definitely a lot of sitting around. Just be clear with them that you and your DH want to be the ones to introduce your daughter to her little sibling. It's a very fair request. Let the doc and nurses know, too, just in case.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:26 AM on Dec. 11, 2008